KDE plasma5 showing blank screen after update

Hello

coming from a FreeBSD 13.2-RC6 and using KDE/plasma5, I recently updated to stable released 13.2 without problems, with my graphical interface running fine as originally installed from RC-6.
However, I then upgraded the installed packages (via pkg upgrade) and everything went well also... except that now I cannot any longer log into the graphical desktop due to a blank screen and a just cursor being displayed. The KDE envrionment is managed through sddm and the plasma session is started via xinitrc with the exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11 as last line of my /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

I would like avoid to reinstall everything from scratch. Thanks for any suggestion.
Marco.

Did it perhaps update graphics/drm-510-kmod too? The packages are still being built for 13.1 and this particular kernel module will fail to load on 13.2. Build it from ports to have it correctly line up with your kernel version.

As far as I know, it runs...

(edit) To be sure:
Code:
$ freebsd-version -uk
13.2-RELEASE
13.2-RELEASE
$ kldstat |grep i915kms
 6    1 0xffffffff83213000   1858b8 i915kms.ko
$ kldstat |grep drm
 7    1 0xffffffff83399000    739e0 drm.ko
$ pkg info drm-510-kmod
drm-510-kmod-5.10.163_5
Name           : drm-510-kmod
Version        : 5.10.163_5
Installed on   : Sat Apr 15 21:36:24 2023 CEST
Origin         : graphics/drm-510-kmod
Architecture   : FreeBSD:13:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : kld graphics
Licenses       : MIT and GPLv2 and BSD2CLAUSE
Maintainer     : x11@FreeBSD.org
WWW            : https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/
Comment        : DRM drivers modules
Annotations    :
        FreeBSD_version: 1301000
        repo_type      : binary
        repository     : FreeBSD
Flat size      : 12.6MiB
Description    :
amdgpu, i915, and radeon DRM drivers modules.
Currently corresponding to Linux 5.10 DRM.
This version is for FreeBSD 13.1 and above.

WWW: https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/

The drm-510-kmod version installed is the following:
Code:
Name           : drm-510-kmod
Version        : 5.10.163_4
Installed on   : Sat Apr 22 18:44:46 2023 CEST
Origin         : graphics/drm-510-kmod
Architecture   : FreeBSD:13:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : kld graphics
Licenses       : MIT and GPLv2 and BSD2CLAUSE
Maintainer     : [EMAIL]x11@FreeBSD.org[/EMAIL]
WWW            : [URL]https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/[/URL]
Comment        : DRM drivers modules
Annotations    :
        FreeBSD_version: 1301000
        repo_type      : binary
        repository     : FreeBSD
Flat size      : 12.6MiB
Description    :
amdgpu, i915, and radeon DRM drivers modules.
Currently corresponding to Linux 5.10 DRM.
This version is for FreeBSD 13.1 and above.

Hence the package appears "quite" suitable for my FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE. Despite not aware whether really compatible or not, I removed it but the KDE system still not starting correctly.

The graphic adapter is GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Hence the package appears "quite" suitable for my FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE. Despite not aware whether really compatible or not, I removed it but the KDE system still not starting correctly.
It's not used, you can remove graphics/drm-kmod. You have an NVidia card and as far as I know x11/nvidia-driver doesn't have a problem with the kernel changes between 13.1 and 13.2, so the 13.1 package should work fine. It also doesn't require or need the DRM kernel modules, those are for Intel and AMD graphics only.

But I suspect SDDM defaults to starting KDE on Wayland, which would result in a black screen. Select the correct DE/WM in SDDM and it should work.

It's not used, you can remove graphics/drm-kmod. You have an NVidia card and as far as I know x11/nvidia-driver doesn't have a problem with the kernel changes between 13.1 and 13.2, so the 13.1 package should work fine. It also doesn't require or need the DRM kernel modules, those are for Intel and AMD graphics only.

But I suspect SDDM defaults to starting KDE on Wayland, which would result in a black screen. Select the correct DE/WM in SDDM and it should work.

Thanks for that, not sure why it slipped through. However that apparently should not be the root cause of my problem since with it KDE was running fine.

I faced a similar problem recently (caused by an upgrade of xorg-server, I think), which was solved by a forced reinstallation of all packages: pkg upgrade -f

If it was built for 13.1 it's going to fail to load on 13.2.
I can confirm what Emrion wrote. I upgraded a machine today from 13.1 to 13.2 and there was no need to recompile
my graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod driver. I compiled this driver around October last year on 13.1 on the computer I upgraded
today to 13.2-RELEASE and it just works fine.
I know that's unusual but that is as it was for me today.

Same for me, the i915kms driver from official packages still worked after an upgrade to 13.2-RELEASE. However, a few days later I got a kernel panic when resuming from sleep, probably caused by this driver, so I finally rebuilt drm-510-kmod too.

graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod is obsolete, by the way.

I faced a similar problem recently (caused by an upgrade of xorg-server, I think), which was solved by a forced reinstallation of all packages: pkg upgrade -f
That did the trick. Issuing
pkg upgrade -f
actually fixed some weird or unexpected inconsistency. That is the slippery way of the upgrade. Thanks for all the advices got.

graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod is obsolete, by the way.
That's correct and I'm aware about it. However when I try to upgrade to the newer graphics/drm-510-kmod my system
becomes unuseable. Means graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod is the last driver that works on my machine.
Why it is like that I do not know. Could not figure it out over the last 6 month.
As soon as I try the newer graphics/drm-510-kmod my machine stops half way through boot at the point the graphics
driver gets loaded. It says loading modules and that's it. Total freeze. Only the power button helps after that.
My hardware is very usual stuff. I5 4core 6gen with AMD Cape Verde graphics.

If someone has a fix for this I would appreciate to hear about it.

No the related firmware is not up to date. As soon as I try I can not boot anymore. The older Firmware is locked so that pkg can
not upgrade it.

And yes my hope is that graphics/drm-515-kmod together with 14.0-RELEASE will solve it.

Right know I'm glad that I was able to drag the old driver into 13.2-RELEASE. It gives me some time to look out for a solution.

Hello

coming from a FreeBSD 13.2-RC6 and using KDE/plasma5, I recently updated to stable released 13.2 without problems, with my graphical interface running fine as originally installed from RC-6.
However, I then upgraded the installed packages (via pkg upgrade) and everything went well also... except that now I cannot any longer log into the graphical desktop due to a blank screen and a just cursor being displayed. The KDE envrionment is managed through sddm and the plasma session is started via xinitrc with the exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11 as last line of my /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

I would like avoid to reinstall everything from scratch. Thanks for any suggestion.
Marco.

Same case today after a # pkg upgrade, and it's not the first time. In my case the problem arises always after a kde5 update.

I have an Nvidia GF GT520M with nvidia-driver-390, and I've solved the issue each time uninstalling and installing again the driver (I've read the solution somewhere in this forum some months ago).

Interesting, my affected computer has almost the same GPU (GT520). Should I be faced with this issue again, I'll report back whether reinstalling nvidia-driver-390 does the trick for me too.

Attention to packages is probably over-kill.

… blank screen and a just cursor being displayed. …through sddm …

Assuming the blankness occurs after using SDDM to log in:
  1. Alt-F2 (shortcut for KRunner)
  2. plasmashell --replace
Alternatively:
  1. Control-Alt-Delete
  2. log out
  3. log in.

An obscure side effect of the first workaround:

Back