KDE fails to open on BSD 11.2 i386 system (SOLVED)

I have followed the procedure in section 5.7.2 of the handbookto install kde5 but the install has failed.
I had a problem when I got to the pkg install of sddm - with the message 'SDDM does not support login (5) & no special restrictions or settings from login.conf are enforced or applied.
When attempting to install kde with the 2nd & 3rd methods in 5.7.2 I get the message 'could not sync to dbus' & the system then defaults to Xterm.

Could you help with some diagnostics for a newbie to try & fix the problem. Thank You.

The fixes are related to;
installing the dbus package & then running #> dbus-uudigen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id.
Also QStandard Paths:XDG RUNTIME DIR was not set, thus defaulting to /tmp/runtime-root. Yet to fix. In the meantime going to kde desktop via startx.

I'm starting to realize that the handbook tends to leave out important information (as above), being that necessary for a newbie such as myself to have early success with this OS. As such it tends to make bald broad brush assumptions about users abilities & knowledge. Knowing that I will proceed to be wary with it in future. Accordingly, I have had to search far & wide to get answers that have not been forthcoming here.

Back