• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved KDE displays in only one resolution and screen "buffer" is moved too much up

bsd_user_1234

Hi guys!
I just got a new laptop; I installed freebsd on it as the only system; Next I installed xorg and gnome3;
All that went great; Later I decided I wanted to switch from gnome to kde4 and so I followed these:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11-wm.html
However, when I rebooted the laptop I didn't quite get what I expected, because the screen was moved too high up and the resolution
was 1024x768, when on gnome it was (as it should have been) 1366x768;
The photo below should be enlightening:
IMG_20180701_073140.jpg
Also: when I turn the i915kms_load option off the screen displays on the whole area of the monitor, but with a bad resolution (too low);
I messed around a little bit with the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
where I added the line ' Modes "1366x768" ' to every depth listed in the file and to the screen section;
However this did not help. On the contrary Now when I reboot I see x server died on startup;
So I deleted the line ' Modes "1366x768" ' from the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, screen section leaving it in the depth sections
and rebooted; Now I'm back to before.
Any help would be appreciated (Tell me if you need anything else);

k.jacker

Remove your xorg.conf (or rename it). This behavior is mostly caused by unsupported refresh rates. What Cpu/Intel graphics you got?

bsd_user_1234

Remove your xorg.conf (or rename it). This behavior is mostly caused by unsupported refresh rates. What Cpu/Intel graphics you got?
First off, sorry for not replying sooner (I was in the mountains :D);
Second, here are the requested specs(I also deleted the xorg.conf file):
Processor Type: Intel Core i5 2nd Gen.
Processor Speed: 2.5GHz
Graphics Processing Type: Integrated/On-Board Graphics

k.jacker

That is a SandyBridge generation processor supported by the /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko driver.
You should add the following line to /etc/rc.conf
Code:
kldlist="i915kms"
Remove your xorg.conf and reboot.
That should do it.