KDE 4 Black Screen

Hello all, I have this problem. Seems that some nvidia driver had updated last Friday. Today I rebooted the computer and after login into KDE the screen became black. I tried three times and it's always the same, so I logged as a failed session and it worked but can not log in the normal way.

Any idea or fix fo this?

I am having similar issues with version 295.40 of the NVidia driver. It will work for a short time and then the screen will turn black and system will become unresponsive. I have reverted to the previous version and everything is fine now. This doesn't seem to be FreeBSD specific. I did a little research and it seems the Linux version of the driver has issues too. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178362

OH said:
Does [cmd=]grep "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log[/cmd] tell you anything useful?

[CMD=""]grep "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log[/CMD]

Code:
# grep "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(EE) May 02 11:23:48 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) May 02 11:23:48 NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) May 02 11:23:48 NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
(EE) May 02 11:23:48 NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) May 02 11:23:48 NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

BSDKaffee said:
I am having similar issues with version 295.40 of the NVidia driver. It will work for a short time and then the screen will turn black and system will become unresponsive. I have reverted to the previous version and everything is fine now. This doesn't seem to be FreeBSD specific. I did a little research and it seems the Linux version of the driver has issues too. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178362

Noob question, How do I get the old driver back?

Code:
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

You are using the Xorg GLX module. This should have been overwritten by the nvidia GLX module. I suggest reinstalling the driver.

Adam

adamk said:
Code:
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

You are using the Xorg GLX module. This should have been overwritten by the nvidia GLX module. I suggest reinstalling the driver.

Adam

Done, it worked!

But the problem now is that all menus have too much transparency. It's almost impossible to read something, I tried to select a different type of desktop teme but it still remains almost 95% of transparency. Don't know why, because it was better before.

Someone here at my side discovered/thinks that the driver loads some buffer and it crashes the driver, because when I turn off the computer and turn on the computer the problem of transparency is fixed.

adripillo said:
Noob question, How do I get the old driver back?

If you are still having trouble with the new driver, I would suggest using ports-mgmt/portdowngrade to downgrade the version of the port in the ports tree. This will only revert the ports tree, not the already installed package.

After you have done this you will have to force a rebuild of the port with portupgrade or portmaster or: # cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver && make deinstall && make reinstall

After that you probably will want to prevent that port from being upgraded until a fix is found. You could add the following line to your /var/db/sup/refuse file to prevent the port from being updated by csup:
Code:
ports/x11/nvidia-driver/*

Be sure to reboot after this since you will still have the newer kernel module loaded.

BSDKaffee said:
If you are still having trouble with the new driver, I would suggest using ports-mgmt/portdowngrade to downgrade the version of the port in the ports tree. This will only revert the ports tree, not the already installed package.

After you have done this you will have to force a rebuild of the port with portupgrade or portmaster or: # cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver && make deinstall && make reinstall

After that you probably will want to prevent that port from being upgraded until a fix is found. You could add the following line to your /var/db/sup/refuse file to prevent the port from being updated by csup:
Code:
ports/x11/nvidia-driver/*

Be sure to reboot after this since you will still have the newer kernel module loaded.

Exellent information. Thank you very much.

Back