Kde 4.8

4.8 has been ready for long time, but the ports slush has slowed down a lot of updates, and now we're waiting for the exp-run to complete. It will be committed in few days.

KDE 4.8.3 port is awesome, very stable but requires extra manual work to install some dependencies.

Just a note; is this bug on tap as a possible fix for KDE-4.8.3 upgrade.

Code:
/usr/local/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /usr/ports/x11/kactivities/work/kactivities-4.8.3/build/CMakeFiles
  45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53
[ 28%] Built target kactivities
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kactivities.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kde4-workspace.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-themes/kdeartwork4.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kde4.

Each morning for the last five days completed a [cmd=]portsnap fetch update[/cmd] and a [cmd=]portmaster -an[/cmd] and then a [cmd=]make clean[/cmd] at /usr/ports/x11/kde4 followed by a [cmd=]make install clean[/cmd] each time I am blessed with the above "error".

upgrade to kde 4.8.3 & kactivities

Were you able to resolve your issue with x11/kactivities not building on upgrade from 4.7 to 4.8.3? If I were to post snippets of my build errors, it would look the same as yours, e.g.:

Code:
/usr/local/kde4/include/KDE/../kurl.h:1158:   instantiated from here
/usr/local/include/qptrlist.h:69: error: type 'QGList' is not a direct base of 'QPtrList<KUrl>'
*** Error code 1
1 error
*** Error code 2
[ 20%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/kactivities.dir/info.o
[ 22%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/kactivities.dir/kactivities_automoc.o
[ 24%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/kactivities.dir/manager_p.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/kactivities.dir/resourceinstance.o
[ 28%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/kactivities.dir/activitymanager_interface.o
Linking CXX shared library libkactivities.so
[ 28%] Built target kactivities
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kactivities.

===>>> make failed for x11/kactivities
===>>> Aborting update

If there's a bright side, I get to explore non-KDE x11 applications and human interfaces that have light (or no) desktops. It would be nice if someone posted a solution to this issue which seems to re-occur instead of just posting that it happens. If I get KDE4 up and running again without admitting that I am a moron, I would gladly share my solution.

Yet another conflict with Qt 3. Please, deinstall it, build KDE SC 4, and then - if you need it - reinstall Qt 3.

I'll try to solve the problem.

No success as of today with kactivities-4.8.3

Since my post, I've deleted every aspect of KDE4 - pkg_delete -rv kde4 and any distfile reference, lib reference, etc.. In addition, I removed all ports with rm -rv kde4*. As of today, I have done a portsnap fetch update - portsnap extract and am now waiting for the portupgrade -a to finish. If I have any success rebuilding KDE4.8.3 within the next week, I'll post my results here. Good luck on your sleuthing too!

Kde4.8.3 upgrade

Cool, I will remove Qt3. Then, after a # pkgdb -Ff followed by a # portsnap fetch update and a # portupgrade -a either Monday or Tuesday I'll post my results. Thank you for the post :).

Code:
# portmaster -a
[ 53%] Building CXX object kopete/libkopete/CMakeFiles/kopete.dir/kopetestatussettings.o
Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libkopete.so
[ 53%] Built target kopete
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/kdenetwork4.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/kdenetwork4.

===>>> make failed for net/kdenetwork4
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Update for net/kdenetwork4 failed
===>>> Aborting update

I got error above updating from 4.8.3 to 4.8.3_1.

Hell Avilla:

Qt3 was not in my ports, but qt33 was. Thus, I deinstalled it and watched in horror as my gnome2 (amarok-1.4.10 and k3b disappear). And, after more than a few hours of updating my ports and trying to install KDE4 from my ports, I am getting the same build errors as afore posted. So I reinstalled qt33 and tried to reinstall amarok-1.4.10 and k3b to no avail. Thus, I'm kind of in a quandary as to how I'm going to fix this install error:

Code:
/usr/ports/audio/amarok]# make clean
===>  Cleaning for qt-3.3.8_14
===>  Cleaning for amarok-1.4.10_20
[root@randy /usr/ports/audio/amarok]# make      
===>  License check disabled, port has not defined LICENSE
===>  Found saved configuration for amarok-1.4.10_20
===>  Extracting for amarok-1.4.10_20
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for amarok-1.4.10.tar.bz2.
===>   amarok-1.4.10_20 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/ruby18 - found
make: don't know how to make check-options-version. Stop

Fix for reinstalling amarok-1.4.10_20 after removing qt33 in response to upgrading to KDE4.8.3. In the audio/amarok port:

# ee Makfile

Comment out line 108:

Code:
#pre-extract:   check-options-version

I removed qt4-corelib-4.8.2 and qt4-gui-4.8.2 and reinstalled them with [cmd=]portmaster devel/qt4 x11-toolkits/qt4-qui[/cmd] and then tried installing kactivities with portmaster x11/kactivities

[Prior to this I tried pkg_delete kde4 kde4-workspace rebuilding them and then installing kactivities -- didn't work; nothing to touch /var/db/[kactivities] +IGNOREME with or I would have tried it; tried rebuilding kde4-workspace (make config options) with and without phython and perl bindings (although I think they are necessary for my user apps).]

I am researching a way to tell what packages in /var/db/pkg were installed by kactivities so that I can use pkg_delete to try and delete and rebuild kactivities (I'm not familiar with the project; it seems like it basically lets you set up different workspaces focused on different tasks.)

Is there a way to build KDE 4 without kactivities?

I have noticed something about dependencies where portmaster does not always build them in the same order. The following is output from portmaster showing how to resume after running portmaster -ad and it's terminating with an error with kactivities. Is it possible something in this list needs to be built prior to kactivities?

Code:
portmaster [commands] net-p2p/ktorrent x11/kde4-workspace
x11/kactivities x11/plasma-scriptengine-ruby 
devel/kdebindings4-ruby-korundum devel/kdebindings4-smoke-smokekde
net/libgweather net/ntop audio/paman audio/paprefs editors/pdfedit
net-mgmt/qkismet finance/qtstalker deskutils/recoll net/smb4k-kde4
x11/kde4-runtime audio/soundconverter audio/soundkonverter
graphics/vigra net-mgmt/wifimgr net/wireshark x11-toolkits/wxgtk26

I accidentally installed kmysqladmin using portmaster not noticing that it depends on kdelibs-3.10.5 and installed kdelibs-3.10.5. Could this have broken things?

Does it make a difference to build with qt4 or qt33?

I'm still learning how to use bash -- to say in one line that I want to run pkg_delete on each package in /var/db/ that greps out to first characters with qt4 -- and delete all qt4 ports. Then rebuild them all.

I would like to be more certain that I am doing something more than simply pumping bilgewater from one part of the ship to another before I go ahead and delete all of these:
Code:
qt4-4.8.2
qt4-accessible-4.8.2
qt4-assistant-4.8.2
qt4-clucene-4.8.2
qt4-corelib-4.8.2
qt4-dbus-4.8.2
qt4-declarative-4.8.2
qt4-designer-4.8.2
qt4-doc-4.8.2
qt4-graphicssystems-opengl-4.8.2
qt4-gui-4.8.2