Kde 4.8.3 dolphin and konqueror problem

H

Hanky-panky

Hi, after KDE upgrade from version 4.7.4 to 4.8.3 (last), I did that according to ports UPDATING file, I can't find dolphin and konqueror anymore!

Where are those files/programs now? At which package they belongs? They used to be in kde-baseapps, then that port it do not exist anymore.

Thank you for any possible help.

avilla@ said:
x11/kde4-baseapps does exist, just install it again.
Hello and thankx for your help. I did installed it, then I'm unhappy with this upgrade.

I had a 4.7.3 perfectly working KDE before. I now have a half working KDE.

I did the upgrade carefully reading the instTING ports file under /user/ports and I found it didn't complete correctly. It missed to install the basic kde4-baseapps package.

And when I installed I now face three major problems:

1) Many Dolphin tabs do not work as expected. The major problem for my use is the Network tabs not working at all. It is apparently clickable then if you click it, it do not respond, so it wont show anything. Lucky for me, I do have Gnome installed too and Nautilus perfectly show my Samba shares. Also recycled bin tab is not working like Network tab.

2) Dolphin correctly show my homes and my filesystems, then it also shows unwanted raw configuration of the same drive. Example: 35.2 GB HD; 512 MB HD and so on.

3) Apps like KSystemLog I heavily used and every app that requires elevation to work properly, now do not prompt the window to elevate the user (Ksudo or what that layer as in 4.7.4). So the app simply start in useless user mode.

4) Konqueror too do not accept smb:// protocol. Maybe the problem is related with Dolphin same problem.

So I'm quietly unhappy: I had a perfectly fit KDE before, I have a broken KDE now even if I did everything well.

Hanky-panky said:
1) Many Dolphin tabs do not work as expected. The major problem for my use is the Network tabs not working at all. It is apparently clickable then if you click it, it do not respond, so it wont show anything. Lucky for me, I do have Gnome installed too and Nautilus perfectly show my Samba shares. Also recycled bin tab is not working like Network tab.

2) Dolphin correctly show my homes and my filesystems, then it also shows unwanted raw configuration of the same drive. Example: 35.2 GB HD; 512 MB HD and so on.

3) Apps like KSystemLog I heavily used and every app that requires elevation to work properly, now do not prompt the window to elevate the user (Ksudo or what that layer as in 4.7.4). So the app simply start in useless user mode.

4) Konqueror too do not accept smb:// protocol. Maybe the problem is related with Dolphin same problem.

This is weird, all these thinngs work perfectly for me. You should try rebuilding some KDE ports as you probably did some mistake while upgrading.

avilla@ said:
This is weird, all these thinngs work perfectly for me. You should try rebuilding some KDE ports as you probably did some mistake while upgrading.
Hi. I can't really understand which mistake I did considering I just follow the advice of UPDATING file and everything was working fine before the update.

Here in details what I did:

1) Following (cut and paste) the advice from /usr/ports/UPDATING file and so deleted the old KDE4 files as explained in the files.

2) rebuilt them with the portmaster -a command, like explained in the UPDATING file.

3) everything compiled pretty fine just to found out the kde4-baseapps was NOT rebuilt by the portmaster -a command.

4) posting in this forum about the missing Dolphin and Konqueror apps and also discovered elevation was not possible anymore. It now request I do load the apps from a command shell, after enabling the display manager for user root using the command rhost + .

5) reading your comment and manually built, with no error, kde4-baseapps from /usr/ports/x11.

So it is out of my perception what could be my mistake.

Thank you and regards.

Been back to KDE 4.7.4. I restored a complete backup I made before 4.8.3 so called upgrade (I do prefer to call it mess), just updated all ports but Qt and Kde stuff and my system/KDE environment is working like a charm.

I will upgrade to KDE 4.8.3/4 when it will be reliable (and/or upgrade procedure will be better explained in the UPDATING file).

Yes, in this case UPDATING is totally broken. Please, DO NOT FOLLOOW IT.

I fronted your same problem hanky-panky on the last FreeBSD machine I do use, a multi purpose machine with a lot of software loaded on it.

I recently try the upgrade to KDE 4.8.4 and it completely ruined my working system.

I followed the advice in UPDATING file and - like usual with the really painfull ports management and generally speaking FreeBSD upgrading (the reason becouse I dumped all my FreeBSD administered machines and converted them to Solaris, some Gentoo and Archlinux) - everything went wrong! I noted myself too the missing kde-baseapps package at the end of all and I had evertyhing you hadn't working and in addition no sound :-(

So, I just did the upgrade my way. Like you did, I had a complete backup of the machine (good idea with the broken FreeBSD ports/package management) made just before the so called upgrade, I restored it and then I simply upgraded everything but KDE and QT. Everytthing was fine, I just saved another bakup before tempting to upgrade KDE from 4.7 to 4.8.4.

I simply IGNORED this lineS in the UPDATING file:

AFFECTS: users of KDE SC 4
AUTHOR: kde@FreeBSD.org

KDE SC ports have been updated to 4.8.3. Several ports were split,
thus manual intervention into update procedure is required:

# pkg_delete -f kde-runtime-\* ruby\*-kdebindings-korundum\* \
kalgebra-4\* kdeaccessibility-4\* kdeutils-4\* kde-baseapps-\* \
plasma-applet-icontasks\*
# portmaster -a

I simply started from the last line: "portmaster -a" and NOT deleted anything. At a certain point the upgrade stopped complaining about problems with the kde-baseapps and the konq packages. I then deleted the original kde-baseapps-4.7.4 package using pkg_delete -fv (package name), then built x11/kde4-baseapps (build went fine) and then gone ahead with "portmaster -a".

Everything compiled fine and - at the end of it - I had a working system with KDE 4.8.4 and all my settings pretty much in places, plasmooids and widgets perfectly working.

Try it, if you want, and - as usual with FreeBSD - the package management is so painful and unprofessional, you can't trust it.

piggy said:
Yes, in this case UPDATING is totally broken. Please, DO NOT FOLLOOW IT.

I fronted your same problem hanky-panky on the last FreeBSD machine I do use, a multi purpose machine with a lot of software loaded on it.

I recently try the upgrade to KDE 4.8.4 and it completely ruined my working system.

I followed the advice in UPDATING file and - like usual with the really painfull ports management and generally speaking FreeBSD upgrading (the reason becouse I dumped all my FreeBSD administered machines and converted them to Solaris, some Gentoo and Archlinux) - everything went wrong! I noted myself too the missing kde-baseapps package at the end of all and I had evertyhing you hadn't working and in addition no sound :-(

So, I just did the upgrade my way. Like you did, I had a complete backup of the machine (good idea with the broken FreeBSD ports/package management) made just before the so called upgrade, I restored it and then I simply upgraded everything but KDE and QT. Everytthing was fine, I just saved another bakup before tempting to upgrade KDE from 4.7 to 4.8.4.

I simply IGNORED this lineS in the UPDATING file:

AFFECTS: users of KDE SC 4
AUTHOR: kde@FreeBSD.org

KDE SC ports have been updated to 4.8.3. Several ports were split,
thus manual intervention into update procedure is required:

# pkg_delete -f kde-runtime-\* ruby\*-kdebindings-korundum\* \
kalgebra-4\* kdeaccessibility-4\* kdeutils-4\* kde-baseapps-\* \
plasma-applet-icontasks\*
# portmaster -a

I simply started from the last line: "portmaster -a" and NOT deleted anything. At a certain point the upgrade stopped complaining about problems with the kde-baseapps and the konq packages. I then deleted the original kde-baseapps-4.7.4 package using pkg_delete -fv (package name), then built x11/kde4-baseapps (build went fine) and then gone ahead with "portmaster -a".

Everything compiled fine and - at the end of it - I had a working system with KDE 4.8.4 and all my settings pretty much in places, plasmooids and widgets perfectly working.

Try it, if you want, and - as usual with FreeBSD - the package management is so painful and unprofessional, you can't trust it.
Hi and thank you very much, my friend! This is the solution for me too.

I was in the first a bit upset: developer here called me like a visionary, he said I did some mistake.

I've been sure I didn't and this is the demonstration he was wrong and not me.

I now simply followed your advice and my upgrade from KDE 4.7.4 to 4.8.4 went fine and smooth.

So thank you again, I hope one day I will be as skilled as you are on the FreeBSD front.

Back