KDE 4.3 is great. But it uses too much memory.

Glad to say that 4.3 was stable and fast all day, but at the end of the day memory usage climbed steadily. Using 1.5 GB of the 2 GB total memory...

KDE4.3 is to big, to complicated. It seams like kde4.3-l10n does not support zh_CN.GBK, only support UTF8.

i am using xfce4, it's easy, light

everypot said:
Glad to say that 4.3 was stable and fast all day, but at the end of the day memory usage climbed steadily. Using 1.5 GB of the 2 GB total memory...

But, is that wired memory (actually in use by apps/libs) or cache memory (file cache, buffer cache, VM cache, etc)?

Remember, "free" memory on FreeBSD is wasted (unused) memory. The kernel tries to use any "free" memory for cache. On a properly working FreeBSD system, the "free" memory should be near 0.

Also, remember that KDE re-uses a lot of shared libs/data, so the memory usage reported by top will not be an accurate reflection of the actual memory usage. Top doesn't show shared memory resources correctly.

There are several blog posts on planet KDE that cover this topic, and how most "memory checkers" get it wrong.

Yes. But KDE 4.2 uses much less memory than KDE 4.3.
There are many "kdeinit4" processes which use a lot of memory.

phoenix said:
But, is that wired memory (actually in use by apps/libs) or cache memory (file cache, buffer cache, VM cache, etc)?

Remember, "free" memory on FreeBSD is wasted (unused) memory. The kernel tries to use any "free" memory for cache. On a properly working FreeBSD system, the "free" memory should be near 0.

Also, remember that KDE re-uses a lot of shared libs/data, so the memory usage reported by top will not be an accurate reflection of the actual memory usage. Top doesn't show shared memory resources correctly.

There are several blog posts on planet KDE that cover this topic, and how most "memory checkers" get it wrong.

Yes, and each of those processes is sharing something like 90% of the memory, so it's not actually using as much as you think. Which is my point.

kde memory usage

I think KDE on FreeBSD uses too much memory (with respect to Linux I mean). In a none-GUI environment FreeBSD does not uses so much memory so. Why he does that with kde? The problem is not only the memory management of FreeBSD.

Compare the RES column numbers of KDE related processes in top(1) output to Linux counterparts, if you see significant differences then there may be some truth to what you're saying.

phoenix said:

Clearification of terminology, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong:
FWIK - wired memory is memory which is associated with kernel tasks or IO which is wired down so it can not be swapped out since it may be accessed from within an interrupt service routine or be accessed by DMA. Then there is the memory which is currently allocated for processes and which can be swapped out. Memory which is free is, as you said, kind of wasted memory. Cache memory is not what Liunx thinks cache is. It is memory which caches meta data of file systems, anything which is not file data. Memory may be transfered from cache to buffer and back during I/O. What we want to have taking up all the free memory is inactive memory, which holds data associated with files on a page-for-page base. This memory is tagged with the inode where it came from, so when the same file is opened/mmapped again the already present data of that file gets re-attached to the memory object, a concept which is IMHO superiour to caching of raw disk blocks.

So if the OP has 2G of memory, how much memory is (2G - free - inactive)? Buffer/Cache is usually around some megabytes, so I would ignore them here.
My 2GB laptop usually jumps the 1G mark there during portbuilds, but when used for some light browsing, text editing, playing music or videos the 500M mark is mostly the limit. And before I would add up some lines in top I usually fire up xosview and have a look.

(PS: Someone please, pretty pretty please, get that thing working with SMP and all other data sources before I have the free time for this, because that will take some)

Back