Kde 4.2

A

Anonymous

My friend installed 7.1 today and he wanted to install KDE 4.2. I am KDE 3.5.10 user and my experience with KDE 4.1 is not good and I cannot help him. How KDE 4.2 works? Is it stable? Is 1 GB od ram enough?
Thanks.

1GB is more than enough. 3.5.10 is more stable than 4.2, but not by too much. If he is picky, then he should wait for 4.2.1.

I installed 8.0-CURRENT-200812-i386 (minimal install from CD, ports - snapshot from ftp), then Xorg 7.4 (from source), then KDE 4.2 (from source).
So far I have no any problem with new Xorg (everything is working fine without tricks: moused, dbus, hald -enabled). First impression from KDE 4.2 is quite positive, far better than 4.1.4. I could compare 4.2.0 with 3.5.10 by speed and stability...well so far:). The install took me 2.5 days from early morning till midnight (+ night hours up to next config screen) but I feel it worth it.

It runs well on my 7.1 box with 1 GB of ram. I had to fiddle with some linking after a upgrade of Xorg to get it working well with the nvidia driver. Otherwise, 4.2 is a vast improvement over the previous releases.

Thank you very much to everyone.
He decided to install Gnome. It works very good :).

I have an issue with 4.2.1 locking up when desktop effects are enabled. I thought maybe it's my hardware but I disabled desktop effects and enabled compiz-fusion instead - it works great (no lock-ups).

Back