KDE 4.2.3 build stals out...

...when trying to build the specific file sipkdeuipart0.cpp as part of the building of the Python bindings. The computer just sits and sits and sits producing nothing. I've let the thing burn upwards of an hour of CPU time to no avail. I've seen other bug reports about this, but no real concrete solutions, except something about disabling all optimizations, which for obvious reasons I don't wish to do. Can anyone help me figure out how to build this port? If so, I would be quite happy.

And, what happens, if you comment out all optimisations in /etc/make.conf, to build this one port? ;)

First rule about aggressive optimisation: disable all optimisations when you hit a snafu.

That was my first thought. Unfortunately, my make.conf consists solely of
Code:
# added by use.perl 2009-06-03 09:44:48
PERL_VERSION=5.8.9
Any optimizations are either built into the build scripts by the upstream provider or were selected by me at the beginning of the port. I'll have to see if I can find the specific port being built as a dependency and reconfigure it. If not, this is a KDE problem, not a FreeBSD problem and I'll go complain elsewhere ;)

mjkerpan said:
...when trying to build the specific file sipkdeuipart0.cpp as part of the building of the Python bindings. The computer just sits and sits and sits producing nothing. I've let the thing burn upwards of an hour of CPU time to no avail.

I have seen this too with SIP stuff, but believe it or not, it will finish. At least it did for me. I thought the compiler was hung or in an optimization loop, but it eventually finished after about a half hour (I never timed it, so don't know for sure). If you take a look at the some of the line numbers referenced in some warning messages, you'll realize it's compiling some HUGE files. So I suspect that optimization is just getting bogged down in the huge file sizes.

That's good to know. I suspect SIP's code output is rather poor so it takes a lot of work to optimize and compile the stuff. Maybe my old Athlon XP 3000+ just isn't up to the task :(

Back