KDE 4.2.1 - lock ups with desktop effects enabled

My machine locks up when I have desktop effects enabled in KDE 4.2.1. When it does the following entries are logged in Xorg.0.log:

Code:
[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
[mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.]

Most of the times when it happens, I can move the mouse around but not click anything. It lets me login remotely and reboot from another system on the network (pkill doesn't do the trick). Sometimes it locks up completely and all I can do to fix is a hard reboot.

It doesn't lock up when I run compiz instead of the built-in desktop effects.

Has anyone run into this?

Thanks! :)

J.

Did you ever figure this out?

After upgrading to FreeBSD 7.2 and installing KDE 4.2.2 from the packages on DVD, I got the beautiful desktop effects, but after a reboot, they no longer work.

When I go to enable them, I get an error message saying the process failed and to check my configuration, but nothing works.

I'll try some spelunking to find out more.

FYI, if X is locked up, you should be able to press CTRL+ALT+Fx to get to a virtual terminal.

Hi,
I have the same issue. I just run 'startx' and see black screen with mouse cursor. Keyboard does not work, so, I can't switch terminal by Ctrl+Alt+Fx
Only Power button work. After reboot I see in logs:
Code:
[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
[mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.]

I have FreeBSD 8.0 RC1, KDE 4.3.1 and ATI Radeon M200

One detail, this issue is happens only when I try to run KDE. IceWM works fine.

are you running this on an integrated video card? I ran into the same problem on Dell Latitude (crappy video for Office users), works fine on Sony Vaio (standalone graphics card)

Back