K3b fails to detect disk space in ZFS file system

I'm running k3b-1.0.5_16 on kde-3.5.10_8

When I attempt to use k3b to copy a CD or DVD I get the error message "There seems to be not enough free space in temporary directory. Write anyway?". It also shows "Temp 0 B/0 B" in the bottom right hand corner of the window.

This is with FreeBSD 9.1-RC2-p1 and ZFS. There's 203GB free space in the ZFS pool and no quota set on the filesystem.

It certainly appears to be a ZFS related problem. If I configure k3b to use temporary space on an external drive with a UFS filesystem or on a FAT32 memory stick it works fine but shows zero free space if I specify a filesystem from either of my ZFS pools.

I know KDE3 is no longer supported but I much prefer it to KDE4 so I'd be interested to know if there's any solution for this, other than my workaround which involves connecting an external drive.

If you know that K3B will working by using a UFS or FAT32 filesystem, why don't you setup a UFS filesystem within ZFS using something similar to this?

Create a separate ZFS filesystem for /tmp (or whatever you want K3b to use for temp space). Set the quota property of the filesystem to 6 GB (large enough for a DVD5) or 10 GB (large enough for a DVD9).

After that, K3b will work correctly.

phoenix said:
Create a separate ZFS filesystem for /tmp (or whatever you want K3b to use for temp space). Set the quota property of the filesystem to 6 GB (large enough for a DVD5) or 10 GB (large enough for a DVD9).

After that, K3b will work correctly.

I tried that but it made no difference. There's no problem with disk space, there's lots available but k3b just fails to determine what's available and assumes there is no space available.

xeube said:
If you know that K3B will working by using a UFS or FAT32 filesystem, why don't you setup a UFS filesystem within ZFS using something similar to this?

Thanks for reminding about that feature of zfs. When I setup a UFS filesystem within ZFS then k3b can in fact see the available space and report it correctly at the bottom of the window.

Unfortunately I now have a new problem when I attempt to copy a CD or DVD - k3b crashes as soon as it attempts to create the ISO file. The problem only affects copying disks, writing files to CD's and DVD's works OK.

I don't copy disks very often with k3b, the last time when it worked OK was round about the same time as I upgraded FreeBSD from 8.2 to 9.0 and switched from UFS to ZFS. I can't be absolutely sure whether I was using UFS or ZFS at the time so I'm not sure if k3b has a problem with ZFS or if it's an incompatibility issue with any recently upgraded dependencies.

Following my latest ports upgrade I now see from the Makefile that KDE3 is deprecated and due to expire in July so I suppose it's time to bite the bullet and "upgrade" to KDE4.

Sorry, it's the reservation property you want to set. This "reserves" the space in the pool (meaning no other filesystems can use that amount), and allows tools to get a "this is how big the disk is" response from the pool.

Code:
# zfs get reservation,quota newpool/tmp
NAME         PROPERTY     VALUE   SOURCE
newpool/tmp  reservation  6G      local
newpool/tmp  quota        6G      local

Code:
# zfs list | egrep -e "NAME|tmp|none"
NAME                      USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
newpool                   633G   737G    77K  none
newpool/tmp              1.36M  6.00G  1.36M  /tmp
Note how the pool has 737 GB of disk space available, but /tmp only has 6 GB.

The above configuration works perfectly with K3b from KDE3 and KDE4 to burn DVD5 (single-layer aka 4 GB DVD).

phoenix said:
Sorry, it's the reservation property you want to set. This "reserves" the space in the pool (meaning no other filesystems can use that amount), and allows tools to get a "this is how big the disk is" response from the pool.

I've tried that too but still no change, k3b still reports zero space. I wouldn't expect reservation to cure it, in the absence of a reservation the file system will appear to have all the free space available to it anyway.
The above configuration works perfectly with K3b from KDE3 and KDE4 to burn DVD5 (single-layer aka 4 GB DVD).

Burning DVD's is no problem it's copying them that's the problem, k3b thinks there's no space and refuses to create an ISO file from the original disk.

I suspect the problem is due to an incompatibility with a dependency on some other recently updated port. I'm running FreeBSD 9.1-RC2-p1 with the ports tree last updated on January 5th 2013.

Considering that KDE3 is now officially deprecated and is due to be removed from the ports in July I'll need to move over to kde4 so I don't suppose it's worth trying to solve this problem. I've tested kde4 with PCBSD 9.1 on a spare drive and k3b works OK so I expect it should be OK when I change ofer to using kde4 on this system.

Attachments

• snapshot8.png
    snapshot8.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 408
Back