IvyBridge graphics and FreeBSD 9.1

I have a laptop with an IvyBridge CPU and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. I previously tried installing FreeBSD 9.0 and was unable to get X working due to the lack of KMS support.

Will FreeBSD 9.1 support KMS and Intel HD graphics?

Following the linked post worked for me, thank you.

The steps I took.
I'd already installed x11-servers/xorg-server and a few others. I first deinstalled them all as I was running into errors, such as needing higher version of dri. I deinstalled xorg-server, xf86-video-intel the synaptics and keyboard drivers and graphics/dri and graphics/libGL. (I'm not sure how much of this was necessary.)

Added the two lines to /etc/make.conf

Code:
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes

WITH_KMS=yes

I then used svn as suggested at https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xorg

svn co https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/trunk

Then got the suggested merge script

fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge

Ran the script with sh xorgmerge. It then suggested running portmaster -a, which I did. (That's when I got a second error on one of the graphics programs mentioned above, the reason I ran make deinstall) Note this was on a very fresh install so there wasn't anything else to upgrade.)

Then, I reinstalled some of the ones I'd removed, which pulled in other necessarys. x11-servers/xorg-server, x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel, xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-synatics. This pulled in the necessary graphics libraries that I'd deinstalled. I then installed a few fonts, as per http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=75821&postcount=11, a window manager, and all was good.

This is on a fairly new 9.1 RELEASE install. After that, it's worked without problems. (This is on a laptop, and I used the wiki post on synaptics for the trackpad, which involved enabling moused(8) and a line to loader.conf.

Also, though this might go without saying, made sure hald was running.

I've been away from FreeBSD for several years, so don't know how much could have been eliminated from what I did, but I'm now happily running dwm on the machine.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SynapticsTouchpad

Very little of that is needed. With 9.1 or 9-STABLE, add to /etc/make.conf:
Code:
WITH_KMS=yes
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes
Rebuild and reinstall the kernel, reboot.
Update ports tree.
Rebuild graphics/drm.
Rebuild xf86-video and xf86-input ports. Maybe also x11-servers/xorg-server, I can't recall.

This worked. Unfortunately, my HD4000 was noticeably slower than a Radeon 4650, so I switched back.

Just tried on fresh install. First I edited /etc/make.conf with the two lines mentioned. Then, I ran
Code:
make kernel
and rebooted.

Next I ran
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
(I hadn't installed ports during installation.)

At that point, I went into /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server but when I ran
Code:
make install
it was unable to fetch the distfile.

At that point, I once again checked out the subversion repo as mentioned in my previous post, along with downloading the merge script, also mentioned in the previous post, and running it too.

Remember, I hadn't yet installed any ports at all, including those for X.

So, after running subversion fetching the merge script and running that, running portmaster -a (which didn't find anything to be updated, I was able to install xorg-server

So, it seems that, at least for me, on a fresh 9.1 install, it was necessary to get the extra repository.

Therefore, I would think that soon enough, it will become transparent to the user.

Thanks for your help. (As I said, I've been away from FreeBSD for a few years, and am just doing some dabbling this weekend--in the course of reminding myself how to do things I've come across several of your posts and other writings, which have been of great help).

I just used the standard ports tree. But adding RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=yes to /etc/make.conf might have helped to find the distfiles.

Well, it's getting late here, but I just tried another quick fresh install. Added the lines to /etc/make.conf, including
Code:
RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=yes.

Ran
Code:
make kernel
and rebooted

Ran
Code:
portsnap fetch extract

Then, (as I said, it's getting late, so was just checking) ran
Code:
 make fetch
from /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server and it worked.
So, it's either the
Code:
RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=yes
or possibly the fact that last time, I downloaded ports before redoing the kernel. Though I did run
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
a second time after rebooting with the rebuilt kernel.
Once again, many thanks. We now have somewhat of an answer to the issue.

wblock@ said:
Code:
WITH_KMS=yes
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes
Are you sure about that? On a fresh 9.1-RELEASE installation I just added the two lines to make.conf and then installed Xorg without any kernel rebuild, and it seemed to have worked just fine.

What happens when X is terminated now? Are you returned to console or does the screen go blank? (The latter has been the case earlier, hasn't it?)

wblock@ said:
Code:
WITH_KMS=yes
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes
Update ports tree.
Rebuild graphics/drm.

This time, trying to do as little as possible, I did a fresh install, and added the above lines to make.conf. (Actually, I tried leaving out the KMS line, but although xorg-server installed successfully, xf86-video-intel failed--I've forgotten the listed error, possibly libdrm but I may be wrong.)

I didn't rebuild the kernel, and as I hadn't yet installed any ports, I didn't rebuild anything

So, did another fresh install, added both lines to /etc/make.conf.

Then ran
portsnap(8) fetch extract.
EDIT: I probably should have formatted the above as code, rather than the man tag for portsmap. The exact command is
Code:
portsnap fetch extract

After that, installing the various ports went without
error. In addition to the server and video driver, I also added some fonts, dwm, xterm and xinit

Everything worked without problems. At least for 9.1, it seems that all one has to do is add the two lines to make.conf, then install the needed ports. (If the ports have already been installed, I haven't confirmed which ones have to be reinstalled and which can be ignored.)

Having also tried with CURRENT, in my experience, one still has to add the KMS and NEW_XORG lines to make.conf for it to work. Can anyone confirm or contradict? This was on a fresh install of 9.1, including ports, which I used for subversion, then updating to CURRENT, reinstalling ports with
Code:
portsnap make extract
and then installing the various xorg packages, with, I would guess, xorg-server and xf86-video-intel being the relevant ones.

When I did this without adding the two lines to make.conf, I got the no screens found error. This was only tested on one install, but I'm guessing, (and looking at the wiki indicates this is the case) that the two lines are still needed in make.conf

Wiki link: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

EDIT: I'm sleepy and using too much mental shorthand. I should point out that as long as the two lines are added to make.conf, X works fine with Ivy Bridge Intel in CURRENT.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but is any of this still relevant with FreeBSD10?

I've just installed FreeBSD 10-BETA3 on an Lenovo Thinkpad L530, which also uses the Intel HD4000 graphics. Using the binary package of Xorg, I was able to start X after adding
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
and
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf.

X started fine after that, my only problem is: I can't stop X :\ I suppose this is also somehow KMS related? Will I have to rebuild Xorg from source, or should stuff just work out of the box and I'm doing something wrong?

Re:

doalwa said:
X started fine after that, my only problem is: I can't stop X :\ I suppose this is also somehow KMS related? Will I have to rebuild Xorg from source, or should stuff just work out of the box and I'm doing something wrong?
You can read #4 and #5 in the KMS module FAQ at the bottom of that page, which seems to contain the answer to your question.

Back