iTunes on FreeBSD

shepper

Aspiring Daemon

Once you start with iTunes, Apple does their level best to keep you locked in. That said, If you already have purchased a number of songs you can use multimedia/ffmpeg to convert them to either *.ogg or *mp3. You can google for scripts to do batch conversion, an example is here. Video formats are also reported to convert.

scottro

Daemon

I'd guess there's a good chance they want to purchase their content on iTunes and listen to or watch it there. It's one way to legitimately purchase content you want to see. I believe that once you purchase something through iTunes you can legitimately back it up to DVD, so you can probably copy from there--or a USB, but honestly, I'm guessing. I feel as if I've read that people have managed to use it on Linux, but even then, if I remember correctly, they did the purchasing and so on through iTunes on Mac or Windows, then transferred the files.

OP
mbzadegan

mbzadegan

No, what do you need it for? There may be alternative software for what you want to do. Tell us more.
What is the alternative software for files copying (such as my camera photoes or any other files...)?

OP
mbzadegan

mbzadegan

I installed sysutils/fusefs-ifuse and then:
Code:
root@unix:/usr/home/user # usbmuxd
root@unix:/mnt # ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod
fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory
root@unix:/mnt #
What does problem?

OP
mbzadegan

mbzadegan

Code:
root@unix:/usr/home/user # kldload fuse
root@unix:/usr/home/user # ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/usr/home/user # cd /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/mnt/ipod # ls
ls: .: Input/output error
root@unix:/mnt/ipod #

tobik@

Daemon
Developer

Code:
root@unix:/usr/home/user # kldload fuse
root@unix:/usr/home/user # ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/usr/home/user # cd /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/mnt/ipod # ls
ls: .: Input/output error
root@unix:/mnt/ipod #
:(

I never asked: What device do you have?

asteriskRoss

Whilst iTunes is proprietary software (I suspect Oko is joking about porting it), there are open source audio players/library managers like audio/amarok and audio/rhythmbox that might have a similar feel. It has been a while since I tried either as I now use much lighter alternatives and I've never owned an iPod/iPhone to try to connect to them.

If you are highly motivated to run iTunes, it *might* be possible to get the Windows version running under emulators/wine but personally, I would go with something that is designed to run natively on FreeBSD.

PacketMan

Aspiring Daemon

Boys oh boys I really wish iTunes was available natively for FreeBSD. Its the only thing really missing from my non-Windows household. Looks like I will be using Amazon now for my mp3 purchases.

PacketMan

Aspiring Daemon

So I see now that I need iTunes to upgrade the iOS on my two Apple devices. And without upgrading the iOS, more and more applications are unavailable to me. :(

Sevendogsbsd

Daemon

😆 Switch2BSD: iTunes is proprietary so it is not possible to port it. No source code available. Also, this thread is 6 years old…

Switch2BSD

Last edited by a moderator:

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

Perhaps install an older macOS in VirtualBox and make use of the USB passthrough?

Its a bit of a faff, honestly I would just sell the iPhone (£30?) and buy a £10 featurephone (with bonus £5 pay-as-you-go credit) and a £5.99 mp3 player.

Then spend the remaining money you saved on decent beer ;)

Menelkir

Perhaps install an older macOS in VirtualBox and make use of the USB passthrough?

Its a bit of a faff, honestly I would just sell the iPhone (£30?) and buy a £10 featurephone (with bonus £5 pay-as-you-go credit) and a £5.99 mp3 player.
2013's smartphones supported sdxc, so you can buy a sdcard instead of the mp3 player.

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

2013's smartphones supported sdxc, so you can buy a sdcard instead of the mp3 player.
Since my Blackberry broke, I vowed to never buy a smart phone and now have this bad boy. Subsidised / Sim locked to BT O2 so considerably cheaper.

I have never used it for music. Turns out it can do radio but not much else (just how I like it).

3 weeks between battery charges is pretty sweet :)