Issue with getting Xorg configured on PowerMac G5

I've successfully installed 9.1 on my PPC G5 but I'm having trouble getting Xorg up and running. I have some Linux experience but I'm very new to the BSD world. I can run Xorg -configure but whenever I try to test the generated xorg.conf I just get a blank screen.

The two errors that jump out at me in the xorg.0.log are this:
Code:
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (Cannot open "/usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so")
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer

I've tried rebuilding dri, libGL, and libDRM without Nouveau as other posts have said but that doesn't seem to solve the issue. Any ideas? Let me know what information you need. Thanks.

Correct, I didn't use the radeonhd driver because it's deprecated. I've reinstalled x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati with no luck. It seems it's not loading the kernel modules I need.

When I run kldstat the only is only kernel loaded and that's it. I've tried building radeon.ko from source but when I try to load it into the kernel with kldload I get a version mismatch error. I think I checked out the wrong source tree.

I've also tried adding
Code:
WITHOUT_NOUVEAU="YES"
to rc.conf and reinstalling graphics/dri as well as graphics/libdrm without success.

You need to run Xorg -configure -retro because the file needs to be edited.

There is a tutorial on here which you can browse for setting up your system.
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=13827 Look at posts 1,2, and 56 in the thread.

Try that first and then post here. If the problem is more complex, post to the powerpc mailing list.

Xorg -configure -retro results in the same thing, black screen and the monitor goes into power ave. Since last night I've completely re-installed and not fetched ports from the internet. I ran make install clean on x11/xorg again and it compiles fine. When I run startx with no config I still get the black screen. I can see from the log now that it's unable to load the radeon kernel module. I installed source when I re-installed the OS and am currently compiling radeon.ko. That's the only error I'm receiving in the log so hopefully that fixes it.

If you're using the radeon.ko module, then are you loading drm.ko or is it already installed?

All right, so with kernel, radeon.ko, and drm.ko loaded, I can run startx and the log shows no errors but the machine locks up and becomes unresponsive that I have to hard reboot via the power button. I can't even get VESA to work properly either.

You better throw this to the mailing list. Justin and Nathan both have G5's, so they will be of much more help.

I think I may have just been a moron the entire time. On a whim, I installed Debian 7.0 to the same machine and when it booted for the first time I got the same response. Screen went into power save. So on a hunch I just moved the monitor cable to the other DVI port and voila! I could see my desktop, So now I'm back to reinstalling FreeBSD to see what happens.

So that's exactly what it was.. man I feel dumb. I now have X up and running and am installing KDE as I type this. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back