Solved Issue upgrading from 14.0 to 14.1 Need guidance to load root zfs filesystem from mountroot to fix core.lua

I am upgrading from 14.0 to 14.1 and ran into the same issue as the one from this thread. However, when editing the core.lua file I made a typo and now when I boot I end up at mountroot. I am lost as to how to load the root filesystem. I am using ZFS and the command zfs:zroot/ROOT/default is not working. Here is a screenshot. I'm sorry that the edges are cutoff. What steps should I take to determine the root file system and load it? Thanks.

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_bcd5442a-7682-48df-94f6-ebdbb9c89e51.jpg

This is what I will try if I was you. Be warned, I never did nor tested this.

- Boot on a 14.1-RELEASE stick.
- Import the root pool ( zpool import, note the name then zpool import -f -R /net thename). Your pool will be mounted inside /net.
- Copy the core.lua file from the stick to the root pool.

As mentioned here, it seems that the base problem is the efi loader wasn't updated.

- So update it, see here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/update-of-the-bootcodes-for-a-gpt-scheme-x64-architecture.80163/. Adapt the instructions to your case as the source loader.efi is in the stick and the target is the efi partition of your disk.
- Don't forget to export the root pool before to reboot: zpool export thename.

This is what I will try if I was you. Be warned, I never did nor tested this.

- Boot on a 14.1-RELEASE stick.
- Import the root pool ( zpool import, note the name then zpool import -f -R /net thename). Your pool will be mounted inside /net.
- Copy the core.lua file from the stick to the root pool.

As mentioned here, it seems that the base problem is the efi loader wasn't updated.

- So update it, see here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/update-of-the-bootcodes-for-a-gpt-scheme-x64-architecture.80163/. Adapt the instructions to your case as the source loader.efi is in the stick and the target is the efi partition of your disk.
- Don't forget to export the root pool before to reboot: zpool export thename.
This worked for me and I am now able to boot successfully. Thanks for your help.

Back