Solved ISP issue or home router/routing issue?

T_P_H_Beastie

New Member


Messages: 3

I figured that the members on this forum might be the only people to figure out where the problem lies.
Almost every week on Monday morning when I get up at 4:30 for work and check my emails on my phone I see the same connection issue.
"Wifi connected-no internet" on my wifi connection icon on my phone or any other device connected to my home wifi.
I know that I am connected to the internet because the first time it happened I went to work and was able to SSH into my
Raspberry Pi running FreeBSD and then go into my home router to check it's settings, etc.
Sunday before going to bed all is well.
Monday, "Wifi connected-no internet" on any devices that use wifi, Ethernet works correctly however (I believe) as I was able to SSH into FreeBSD box to connect to my home router, I can also connect to my OpenBSD VPN while the issue is ongoing. But my wife said the Ethernet didn't work for her when she used a spare cable to try and work from home the first time it happened.
To remedy the issue, I power everything down for a few minutes and power back up and it works fine until the next Monday a.m.
I don't use my ISP's (Verizon Fios) router, I have my own, An Archer / TP Link.
It just started happening a few months ago, and happens around 3 times a month, always Sunday night sometime before I wake up.
Is this a DNS resolution issue on my end?
I do have a Pihole ad-blocker running.
Any direction would be much appreciated.
 

gpw928

Aspiring Daemon

Reaction score: 266
Messages: 593

I think you need to do a bit more investigation. Timing suggests it might be "maintenance" related.
What do the routes look like on your firewall during the outage? Do they differ from "normal"?
Maybe I would suspect is some sort of outage in the upstream name service.
e.g. can you ping well known IP addresses (e.g. 8.8.8.8) when the outage is in progress?
How many up-stream name servers have you got configured? Maybe add a few more nameserver declarations to /etc/resolv.conf?
 

diizzy

Aspiring Daemon

Reaction score: 189
Messages: 572

In addition to the above
I would guess that your TP-Link runs of out memory / crashes and/if your Pi-hole setup gets wonky over time but that would also affect ethernet devices. A suggestion that may be worth looking into is replacing your router/firewall and pihole-setup with one device which would also give your better control and most likely reliability. RockPro64+Intel PCIe NIC would be a nice relatively cheap solution that can run FreeBSD and blocky (basically the same thing as pi-hole) . Additionally your could have a dedicated device for WiFi (access point) such as your TP-Link which you might also want to look into if it has a newer firmware available, if you could list the model that could also help a bit.
 
OP
T

T_P_H_Beastie

New Member


Messages: 3

Tks gpw928.
It appears it is the Pihole DNS resolver on my home network.
A Sunday update of blocked domains is in the cron job list and it's on an old Pi.
 
Top