Is this an acceptable way to update my ports tree and system?

I have just been typing [cmd=]portsnap fetch update[/cmd] to update my ports tree and then [cmd=]portupgrade -a[/cmd] to update anything on my system that has an update.

Is this an acceptable way to keep the system up to date?

Probably depends upon how many ports you have installed
Code:
ls -lac /var/db/pkg | wc -l
... Not only could I never again use that portupgrade command, due to too many ports, but I still use cvsup/csup due to annotations sprinkled within the ports tree by way of files and helper files for upgrade scripts.
Code:
 portmaster -d -B /var/db/pkg/mmv- /var/db/pkg/lookat- /var/db/pkg/links-
... with the numbers of course, may be a useful way to upgrade more piecemeal.

bigtoque said:
I have just been typing "portsnap fetch update" to update my ports tree and then "portupgrade -a" to update anything on my system that has an update.

Is this an acceptable way to keep the system up to date?

It'll work until it fails. There are special cases listed in /usr/ports/UPDATING which have to be done differently.

Upgrading FreeBSD Ports now only features portmaster, but the principle is the same.

There have been more articles on how to upgrade ports in FreeBSD, than actual successful attempts by users (novice and more experienced).

wblock said:
It'll work until it fails. There are special cases listed in /usr/ports/UPDATING which have to be done differently.

Upgrading FreeBSD Ports now only features portmaster, but the principle is the same.

I do read /usr/ports/UPDATING before I do any updates but I haven't used portmaster yet. I suppose I should give it a try sometime.

Back