Is there any Anti-Virus Software for FreeBSD?

My Company has a product based on FreeBSD and some of the software is written into the kernel. One of our customers will only accept our software if they can run anti-virus software on that machine. We have just moved the product to the FreeBSD platform and so we need to find Anti-Virus software that runs on FreeBSD. Anyone know of any software available - paid or Open Source?

thanks

Andy

Clamav is free, widely used and highly regarded. Most often used as a email scanner on Unix/Linux I think but you can scan files and directories if thats what you want/need to do... You´ll find it in the ports tree security/clamav

ta Andy.

One of our customers will only accept our software if they can run anti-virus software on that machine
Firewall also could be an option. Antivirus find viruses on system and firewall (if you configure it right) will avoid viruses, filter packets etc.
If Firewall is also an acceptable option see Pfsense witch is based on BSD :D

You can export what should be scanned with Samba and let a Windows client scan the Samba share.

AndyUKG said:
Clamav is free, widely used and highly regarded. Most often used as a email scanner on Unix/Linux I think but you can scan files and directories if thats what you want/need to do... You´ll find it in the ports tree security/clamav

ta Andy.

ClamAV should be easy enough to install. It isn't as accurate as some commercial AV software though (from my experience).

There's also security/bdc (BitDefender) (which I use, together with ClaMAV, on my mail servers), though it's a bit involved to install: you need to download the tarball manually (license agreement), and you have to run COMPAT_5. Works fine otherwise, and signature updates over the net are free.

There's also security/bdc
But is not running on amd64 arch :(
Code:
[emberdaemon@area51 bdc]$ sudo make install clean
===>  bdc-7.0.1_2 is only for i386, while you are running amd64.*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/bdc.

Foe i386 sounds great solution :D

Also security/fwbuilder witch is the best firewall (at leat for me) to install it on the same computer (Not to other one who play the firewall's role). Official site: http://www.fwbuilder.org/ witch also have the documentation

Anyone worth his salt can compress the rulesets made by fwbuilder by 90% .. It's like watching Microsoft Word build HTML code ..

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Armed with this info we can confidently go back to the customer and upgrade their software knowing that their is a solution out there for them.

Back