Solved Is Mini PCI-E to PCI-E x1 WiFi adapter supported?

Hi. I have some usb wifi dongles but they don't work well with FreeBSD, so I thought I might try this wifi adapter for wifi on freebsd. Did anyone try something like that? Do you think it will work? I had a broadcom wifi chip that i want to use with wifibox but i just learnt that broadcom series isn't supported by that adapter and I ordered an Atheros wifi chip again that i bought before for the laptop because it was working well with FreeBSD. Adapter says its compatible with Linux. I attached images below. I currently use android usb tethering for internet on FreeBSD because my ethernet cable is damaged and i don't want to use cable again.

Attachments

• 1719159498663.png
    1719159498663.png
    437 KB · Views: 14
  • 1719159510494.png
    1719159510494.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
those are just physical interface adapters with some antennas attached. there's nothing to "support" as there are no active components on them, like e.g. on a PCIe-riser.

The only important part is what wifi card/chipset you want to put on that adapter.
Have a look at the hardware notes for the release you want to run (e.g. for 13.3-RELEASE: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/13.3R/hardware/) and take a pick. You might also want to search in the forums before ordering a specific card.

those are just physical interface adapters with some antennas attached. there's nothing to "support" as there are no active components on them, like e.g. on a PCIe-riser.
Thanks for pointing it out.

The only important part is what wifi card/chipset you want to put on that adapter.
Have a look at the hardware notes for the release you want to run (e.g. for 13.3-RELEASE: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/13.3R/hardware/) and take a pick. You might also want to search in the forums before ordering a specific card.
I ordered an Atheros AR9462 and I was used it in the past with FreeBSD. It was working well with 13.2 and I think it will work same or better in 14.1 too.

Back