Solved Is Lumina considered stable?

I'd like to try out something different than KDE. I already know MATE and XFCE, but I never tried Lumina. Is it worth it?

Greetings !

I never tried it myself, but I think I will give it a try soon, since it is a DE that was originally developed for BSD it could be interesting indeed. Maybe you will find the following topic useful concerning Lumina :

I built it form x11/lumina yesterday and honestly it was disappointing. Better stay with lightweight alternative like xcfe4 for instance, it works quite well on FreeBSD. Since TrueOS has been abandoned they probably start to adapt it to the Linux ecosystem (with their Project Trident distro). Maybe it was better before that, but for now it just something between a simple window manager like icewm and a Desktop Environment. And honestly, to get something like that I really prefer staying on icewm or xfce4, these are "finished product" and well known. As for the stability part of lumina, I cannot talk I have not tested long enough.

Lumina has fallen into a typical hobby project trap: lack of focus. Only fun things are getting done, such as starting new utilities or chasing new shiny things with rewrites. There is no effort spent on code quality, testing, bug fixes, polishing UX or documentation. It's going to be abandoned once there is enough technical debt. It actually already looks half way there considering that it currently receives very few commits.

Since TrueOS has been abandoned they probably start to adapt it to the Linux ecosystem (with their Project Trident distro).
There is barely any FreeBSD specific code in Lumina. TrueOS / PC-BSD config utilities predate it.

I built it form x11/lumina yesterday and honestly it was disappointing. Better stay with lightweight alternative like xcfe4 for instance, it works quite well on FreeBSD. Since TrueOS has been abandoned they probably start to adapt it to the Linux ecosystem (with their Project Trident distro). Maybe it was better before that, but for now it just something between a simple window manager like icewm and a Desktop Environment. And honestly, to get something like that I really prefer staying on icewm or xfce4, these are "finished product" and well known. As for the stability part of lumina, I cannot talk I have not tested long enough.
Okay, thanks! Then I don't waste my time on it.

Lumina is stable in my experience though i didn't give it a long trial period, so whatever that could mean may not be valid. I do know as a DE it looks very basic, ugly, and boots up with historical and religious quotes that some people might not appreciate being bombarded with every time they boot their machine, but I don't mind it personally.

I've been using Lumina as my primary desktop for years and can attest to its stability and remarkable speed. There are some open issues such as resizing under VirtualBox and frequent fluxbox crashes (that are worked around by automatically restarting, so you may not even notice until you see the core file that mysteriously appeared).
This project has been neglected due to changes in priorities among the developers and the demise of TrueOS/Trident, but has changed leadership recently and a new release was just published.
FYI, if you use sysutils/desktop-installer, it will do a few tweaks to improve the Lumina out-of-the-box experience (in addition to giving you a fully configured desktop in half an hour or less).

… resizing under VirtualBox …

Can you share a link to the issue? Thanks.

… changed leadership …

… i don't expect to hear alot from Lumina. …

For reference:

Back