Is it possible to change user avatars?

Is it possible to change the user avatar on Gnome 3.28 on FreeBSD 12.1? The usual method via 'Account Settings' doesn't work for me because the dialog is permanently locked and the 'lock/unlock' button for the dialog doesn't appear to work.

Is it possible to change the user avatar on Gnome 3.28 on FreeBSD 12.1? The usual method via 'Account Settings' doesn't work for me because the dialog is permanently locked and the 'lock/unlock' button for the dialog doesn't appear to work.
Hi, I would like to know the same thing, because gnome-control-center has considerable and well known instability and if you click on Settings -> Users the application does not start and you can no longer even use Change Background and Monitor... Therefore, I should change the login avatar icon with another system, choosing the icon from /usr/local/share/pixmaps/faces/.

Is there a way to do this with the Terminal or other solution (not by Gnome himself)?
I'm on FreeBSD 13

OK, but in my user's account I can't find this file: do I have to create it by hand? How?

Code:
.face: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.02, aspect ratio, density 1x1, segment length 16, progressive, precision 8, 256x256, components 3

Copy your favorite jpg file to $HOME/.face and symlink .face to .face.icon just to be sure.

It is a hidden file.

ls -a
there isn't one. Please, can you can tell me what write inside? I'm trying writing simply /usr/local/share/pixmaps/faces/cat.jpg But in this way only an empty circle appears at the login instead of the standard icon...

there isn't one. Please, can you can tell me what write inside? I'm trying writing simply /usr/local/share/pixmaps/faces/cat.jpg But in this way only an empty circle appears at the login instead of the standard icon...
Then copy this file to $HOME/.face to see if it works as expected?

You're doing it wrong. ~/.face is supposed to be the image, renamed. Not a text file with the path to an image.

Code:
xxx@xxx:~$ file .face
.face: PNG image, 96 x 96, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced

Of course you can use symbolic links rather than copy the image.
well! This works like a charm, thank you ;-)

Back