Is hald effecting wear on SSD?

I have a 9.0-PRERELEASE system:
Code:
tsunami# uname -a
FreeBSD tsunami.lan 9.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-PRERELEASE #0: Fri Dec  2 07:25:19 PST 2011     root@tsunami.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TSUNAMI  amd64
Running on a pair of SSDs in zfs root mirror:
Code:
tsunami# zpool status
  pool: zroot
 state: ONLINE
 scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zroot       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada0p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada2p2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
That indicates disk activity at about 1 second intervals that I have traced to hald. When I kill hald, activity stops.
I'm wondering if hald activity writes to disk causing wear on SSDs and what I might do to prevent it if so?

Is it writing, or just polling? Consider removing HAL altogether. It's not required for xorg or xfce any more, don't know about Gnome or KDE.

I don't know if it is writing or just polling. At this point I'm not sure how to tell one way or the other.

hald not required? I'll have a go at disabling it. I did the standard enable of dbus and hald when my mouse and keyboard would not work when I brought up X.

Should I leave dbus running?

dbus is useful for inter-program communication.

To stop xorg-server from using HAL, turn it off in the ServerLayout section of xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"

x11-servers/xorg-server can also be compiled with the HALD option disabled.

If the mouse has a PS/2 interface, moused(8) might be needed:
/etc/rc.conf
Code:
moused_enable="YES"

Thank you Warren, works perfectly. No more "periodic" disk activity. Is this another conflict with the Handbook?

To answer my own question: Nope, not in conflict. Upon review, it became clear that I have not visited that section of the handbook in some time. Sorry for that last bit of noise.

If you find mistakes in the Handbook, man pages, or other FreeBSD documentation, submit a PR or at least send a message to the freebsd-doc mailing list. It may not get fixed immediately, but hopefully before the next time you see it.

Back