Other Is GTK+ a dead end?

This is a post from slashdot, which I think may have a point.

GTK+ is rife with serious problems. The first is that it's affiliated with the GNOME crew. Their grasp of sensible, proper UI design is very suspect, especially after the GNOME 3 disaster. For example, these are the kind of people who took gedit, GNOME's text editor, and changed it from this sensible, usable UI [wikimedia.org] to this hideous, unusable UI [wikimedia.org]. You can even see a screenshot of this shitty UI in the Xfce 4.12 tour! It has, sadly, been infected by this bad UI design.

The portability of GTK+ is, to put it politely, utter rubbish. X11 is the only platform where it isn't a disgrace. It "works" under Windows and OS X, but if by "working" you mean it runs but is generally unusable. I haven't been able to ever get it working properly under OS X. It didn't even get to the point where it showed a UI, the last time I tried it. Inkscape is horrible. GIMP is horrible. Every other GTK+ app I've tried on Windows or OS X has been absolutely horrible.

By contrast, the Qt based LXQT 9.0 seems familiar, minimalist, and well organized.

Heh. I donn't really like using either GTK+ or Qt applications. I build all my stuff with Motif or Xaw, or FLTK.

Is this an argument against GTK+ or the design of certain GTK+ applications?

LOL this all smells suspiciously like someone from the QT & Co. is a little miffed, over all the fanfare, and attention Gnome has gotten with Gnome3, as of late.

Whatever...

--Chris

Back