Iridium Browser

therue

Anyone have experience with Iridium Browser?

I know that it's a browser with security in mind and focuses on removing google's data gathering, but how functional is it as an everyday browser?

I read that it has a lot of issues with videos and sounds due to the lack of codecs ? Furthermore, if you use gmail or any services that require Google sign-in; the lack of Google API key will render you unable to utilize such services? So no gmail either? :(

Does anyone have experience with Iridium by any chance? How has your experience been with the browser and what kind of nuances are you encountering?

fernandel

Aspiring Daemon

Anyone have experience with Iridium Browser?

I know that it's a browser with security in mind and focuses on removing google's data gathering, but how functional is it as an everyday browser?

I read that it has a lot of issues with videos and sounds due to the lack of codecs ? Furthermore, if you use gmail or any services that require Google sign-in; the lack of Google API key will render you unable to utilize such services? So no gmail either? :(

Does anyone have experience with Iridium by any chance? How has your experience been with the browser and what kind of nuances are you encountering?
At this momem I am listening Lisa Fischer on Vimeo with Iridium. You can see on the screenshot.
vimeo.jpg

Rigoletto

Daemon
Developer

What is the point of using a browser that remove the Google's data gathering if you are an user of the Google services ( and have to login to it )?

OP
OP
therue

therue

What is the point of using a browser that remove the Google's data gathering if you are an user of the Google services ( and have to login to it )?
:p you have a point.
anyone have a suggestion for an alternative email provider? is protonmail still considered the best option?

Chris_H

Daemon

Vfemail.net.
I've spoken with the owner several times. A great person to work with. Spam is never an issue (never get it).
Has a growing number for domains to use, or choose/use your own, has a couple of different UIs, . . .
All and all, I think they're pretty darn good.
I manage several MX's of my own. But I still find the need for an offsite address, and given my experience thus far (about a year), I'm keeping em.
As to a browser. I got sick, and tired of Firefox. It just seemed to get worse, and worse, and I couldn't keep research open for more than a day and a half. Cause it leaks memory like sieve.
So I tried waterfox, chrome, and a couple of others, and finally landed on Pale Moon ( www/palemoon ). You'll need/want to add a couple of privacy plugins to suite your needs (umatrix, adblock latitude, and probably a cookie manager), and while it's still based on Firefox; I'm typing this message in Pale Moon, and it currently has more than 50 open tabs, and I haven't quit it for over a month!

HTH

--Chris