IPv6?

AAAA does works with VB, but IPv6 is not that common. We manager couple of larger customer websites (millions plus hit per day) and only 30-40 Ipv6 unique a day. It is not worth a trouble.

vivek said:
AAAA does works with VB, but IPv6 is not that common. We manager couple of larger customer websites (millions plus hit per day) and only 30-40 Ipv6 unique a day. It is not worth a trouble.

It won't hurt to be prepared for the future :e

My home network is running IPv6 for several years now.

vivek said:

I'm going to disagree with everything you just said. Head's up.

If you actually read the thread that I posted from vbulletin.com you'd know that vBulletin does not completely support IPv6. They use a 15-byte field to store an IP address in presentation format. IPv6 addresses don't always fit in 15 bytes when in presentation form. This means that features tied to IP addresses in vBulletin do not work with IPv6.

Not that common? Says who? Everyone who owns an Airport Extreme wireless gateway and everyone using Windows Vista is connected to the IPv6 internet right now. Throw in all of the nerds (like myself and SirDice from this thread) and you've got an awful lot of IPv6 clients looking for IPv6 content.

I run a vBulletin forum with "only" 100s of thousands of hits a day and yet I see a handful of IPv6 addresses each day.

I can't seem to find reference to it right now but I believe that one of the major consumer ISPs in India is even offering native IPv6 right now.

And trouble? What trouble? How is it any different from IPv4? Put an address on an interface. Add a default route. Update DNS. done. Regardless, even if it were "trouble" to configure I do think its worth it. I want to see the rest of the Internet get off their lazy asses and configure IPv6 so we can quit lolly-gagging around with NAT and, worse, Carrier Grade NAT. I hate to throw The Google into the ring but even Google said it was easy; not exactly the smallest web property on the Internet.

Notice that most other FreeBSD.org properties are v6 enabled. www. mailing lists. FreeBSD as an OS is IPv6 certified. Why wouldn't FreeBSD.org want to make forums.freebsd.org IPv6 enabled?

I'm not against IPv6. My personal blog and forum has it since year or so.

We have deployed IPv6 at our government clients almost 2-3 years ago. All I'm saying that there are not too many users with native IPv6 desktop connectivity in India. And currently *no consumer Indian ISP* offers native IPv6 DSL / ADSL or Cable connection for home users. You need to get T1 or higher and only a few ISP in Bangalore, Mumbai or Delhi currently supports it.

Currently we have parallel IPv6 exchange Routers in Mumbai and Delhi Exchange points and dual stack router in Bangalore.

And here is trouble I was talking about...
First, we need to peer with one of those location (not every ISP or telco has it here), upgrade routers, switches and operating systems etc (some infrastructure is pretty old, people still uses Cobol and what not) without breaking into anything. Than deploy dual stack, reconfigure security policy and all other stuff. And it is not worth a trouble when you need to upgrade everything so that just 40 users (out of millions visitors) connecting via some tunneling server located in USA to enjoy IPv6.

Both my post were written considering local market. I've no idea about Netherlands / your location and Ipv6 status. But good to know you are getting 100 of IPv6 users per day ;)

Cheers

Back