IPv6 nslookup etc not working

Hi,

I´m in the process of testing BIND 9.7.0.1 (from ports) on FreeBSD 8.0 with IPv6.
The system has both IPv4 and IPv6 IP address, both are working. I found after adding some AAAA records I was getting errors looking them up, but I could look them up from a Windows 7 laptop :S
On further digging I have tested with a public IPv6 forward DNS record:

altavista.ipv6.digital.com

My FreeBSD fails if I attempt to do a lookup on this via nslookup, equally fails a ping. However a valid AAAA records exists which I can see from Windows 7 and also via a dig from FreeBSD.

I have replaced base BIND with BIND 9.7 and chosen to force IPv6 support. I can see by the datestamp on my nslookup binary its just been compiled. So whats the problem? I had a look on the freebsd site at the IPv6 guide and dont see any reference to having to make special changes to be able to see IPv6 DNS records....

thanks, Andy.

Do you have IPv6 enabled in rc.conf?

Code:
dice@molly:~>nslookup
> server 192.168.1.1
Default server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53
> set querytype=any
> molly
Server:         192.168.1.1
Address:        192.168.1.1#53

Name:   molly.dicelan.home
Address: 192.168.1.190
molly.dicelan.home      has AAAA address 2001:888:1c5b::190

Yep, I have in rc.conf:

Code:
ipv6_ifconfig_em0="xxxx:170:0:1::43"
ipv6_defaultrouter="xxxx:170:0:1::1"
ipv6_enable="YES"

(Obfuscated IPs)

The same syntax, ie specify querytype=any also works for me (as does dig as I mentioned)

Code:
# nslookup
> server localhost
Default server: localhost
Address: ::1#53
Default server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
> set querytype=any
> altavista.ipv6.digital.com
Server:         localhost
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
altavista.ipv6.digital.com      has AAAA address 3ffe:1200:2001:1:8000::1

Authoritative answers can be found from:
ipv6.digital.com        nameserver = crl.dec.com.
ipv6.digital.com        nameserver = ns.dec.com.
ns.dec.com      internet address = 15.243.224.21

However isnt it normal to expect nslookup, and more importantly ping, to work normally with IPv6 addresses?

AndyUKG said:
However isnt it normal to expect nslookup, and more importantly ping, to work normally with IPv6 addresses?
The default querytype is A, not AAAA. Also instead of ping use ping6.

Ah, ping6 I didnt know! :p
Ok so all working as expected I suppose!
There isn´t a way to configure DNS to do both A and AAAA lookups by default is there?

thanks for the info, Andy.

AndyUKG said:
There isn´t a way to configure DNS to do both A and AAAA lookups by default is there?
It will depend on the application that's doing the query. Most IPv6 aware applications do.

PS what is the best way to suggest updates to handbook documentation? The IPv6 section makes no reference to ping6 which IMO is fairly fundamental. Should I email doc@FreeBSD.org ?

SirDice said:
It will depend on the application that's doing the query. Most IPv6 aware applications do.

Sorry I meant to ask regarding specifically nslookup. Perhaps thats a question for the BIND forum?

AndyUKG said:
Sorry I meant to ask regarding specifically nslookup. Perhaps thats a question for the BIND forum?

It's rather irrelevant what the nslookup tool does. Applications will use API calls anyway.

SirDice said:
It's rather irrelevant what the nslookup tool does. Applications will use API calls anyway.

I wouldnt say it was irrelevant as nslookup is a vast number of UNIX admins in the world are used to using. It might be irrelevant for the actual functioning of the server.

AndyUKG said:
I wouldnt say it was irrelevant as nslookup is a vast number of UNIX admins in the world are used to using.
They should also know about setting the querytype ;)

It might be irrelevant for the actual functioning of the server.
It is.

SirDice said:
They should also know about setting the querytype ;)

Yeah, but the query type option means u can no longer use nslookup as a one line (non interactive) command and generally makes it cumbersome to use... Which is why I was wondering about configuring it to automatically check both A and AAAA records.

AndyUKG said:
Yeah, but the query type option means u can no longer use nslookup as a one line (non interactive) command and generally makes it cumbersome to use...
Read the man page. $ nslookup -q=AAAA [url]http://www.jp.freebsd.org[/url] works fine.

SirDice said:
Read the man page. $ nslookup -q=AAAA [url]http://www.jp.freebsd.org[/url] works fine.

Fair enough. Its still a more cumbersome command and means you have to check twice for all records ;).
Just seems like IPv6 is a bit of a second class citizen on FreeBSD, with different ping commands and not checking AAAA records by default. Can´t say I have experience using IPv6 on other OSs tho to be fair, I only know nslookup on windows will check both A and AAAA records...

To be honest I'm assuming people who use tools to diagnose problems (the intended use of ping and nslookup) also know how to use them.

I'm more concerned about the behavior of Firefox for instance. And firefox will query both and will connect to the IPv6 address if both are available.

BTW: nslookup is deprecated (and on its way out), use host or dig. To suggest additions to the documentation, you can file a PR in the docs section.

Thanks DD. Ive submitted my suggestion re the handbook.
PS yeah I know its on its way out, but it has been for years. Im sure most sys admins still use it :p Guess we´ll have to script a new nslookup when its really gone!

AndyUKG said:
PS yeah I know its on its way out, but it has been for years. Im sure most sys admins still use it :p Guess we´ll have to script a new nslookup when its really gone!
I do still use it :p

Mainly interactive though. For everything else dig. I like the interactive mode to hop from one DNS server to the other. Do a query, hop to another, etc. Perfect for hunting bad guys :e

I'm sure we can script something around dig when it does finally die ;)

Back