Solved ipv4v6 - do i need ipv6 configured for my network to work ?

Last night i was playing with my Netgear Nighthawk M1 to try to get more of my Internet speed as i started to use LLM locally on my WS so downloading 20-30GB files sometimes takes a while and i dont want to buy directional - signal strengthening antennas i stumbled across IPV settings.
I have laptop with ipv4 only configuration from installation process ( FreeBSD 14.1-R) and wifi only
Daily rig over Ethernet cable ( FreeBSD 14.1-R)
WS on Linux with Ethernet cable
My Netgear mobile router gave 3 options to choose: ipv4 , ipv4v6 and ipv6 .
I clicked ipv4v6 as i knew i could not have ipv6 on my laptop. Could not connect anymore with my laptop but my both pc`s had internet connection. ( not sure if i had ipv6 enabled on installation on my daily )
What is ipv4v6 ? and i need ipv6 configured on my laptop to have this connection ?
I was trying to find out about ipv4v6 but all things goes ipv4 or ipv6 or its some sort of ip4 and ipv6 connections bundled to one setting ? if yes - why did my laptop could not get connected ?
I want to have this option or maybe ipv6 only as noted some speed difference and constantly same speeds instead of jumping up and down with ipv4.

My Netgear mobile router gave 3 options to choose: ipv4 , ipv4v6 and ipv6 .
Sounds like ipv4v6 is a dual stack mode, enabling both IPv4 and IPv6. Manual of the modem should give better answers.
I want to have this option
You don't know what it is, yet you want to have it?
maybe ipv6 only as noted some speed difference and constantly same speeds instead of jumping up and down with ipv4.
You'll want to run dual stack, both IPv4 and IPv6. FreeBSD will prefer IPv6 if its enabled. Not everything is IPv6 yet, so you're still going to need good old IPv4.,

You don't know what it is, yet you want to have it?
I noted speed difference and this is why i want it. Im simple man - bigger/faster is better lol.
Sounds like ipv4v6 is a dual stack mode, enabling both IPv4 and IPv6. Manual of the modem should give better answers.
No manual about it... states that IPv6 is supported. I have to start re-searching about it. but if its dual stack - kinda interesting why my laptop could not get connected to it. or i misunderstand dual stack ?
You'll want to run dual stack, both IPv4 and IPv6. FreeBSD will prefer IPv6 if its enabled. Not everything is IPv6 yet, so you're still going to need good old IPv4.,
Right ... so to be clear: if i set only IPv6 I wont be able to access some websites ?

if i set only IPv6 I wont be able to access some websites ?
Yes. Same with enabling only IPv4, although the number of websites that are only accessible on IPv6 is really low. There is certainly still a lot of internet stuff that's only accessible on IPv4.

But in order to actually use IPv6 your Internet provider must supply you with an IPv6 address, just like they do for IPv4. So check with your provider. If your provider doesn't provide IPv6 you could set up an IPv6 tunnelbroker (he.net for example).

i just changed to IPv4v6 - checked iphone 8 - IPv6 address , checked WS - and IPv4 and IPv6 address. fbsd rig looks like is without ipv6 as i did not enabled this function on installation. and for some reasons - laptop started to work on IPv4v6 . maybe still need to wait 5min .

bsd rig looks like is without ipv6 as i did not enabled this function on installation.
Try enabling SLAAC and see if it can also get an IPv6 address. ifconfig_<int>_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

Network card, yes.

For example, on one of my FreeBSD hosts:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="SYNCDHCP"
ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

Network card, yes.

For example, on one of my FreeBSD hosts:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="SYNCDHCP"
ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
no internet connection after this.
i dont have SYNCDHCP as i have static ip set.
but had some errors:

Code:
rtsol: sendmsg on em0: Permission denied

It does shows inet6
Code:
 inet6 fe80::6d4:c4ff:fe48:82ec%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
nd6 options=23>PERFORMNUD, ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Yes. Same with enabling only IPv4, although the number of websites that are only accessible on IPv6 is really low. There is certainly still a lot of internet stuff that's only accessible on IPv4.

But in order to actually use IPv6 your Internet provider must supply you with an IPv6 address, just like they do for IPv4. So check with your provider. If your provider doesn't provide IPv6 you could set up an IPv6 tunnelbroker (he.net for example).
I just wanted to put in a good word for Hurricane Electric (tunnelbroker.net) IPv6 tunnels. I used one for about a decade before I finally got a dual-stack ISP. And they are free—apparently HE does this to encourage adoption of IPv6.

So in case like mine where i have dual or single - what connections are preferred first ? IPv4 or IPv6 ? just slapped SirDice given command on my laptop - speed from 20Mbps went to 15Mbps lol ... does wifi card and drivers does have a play as well ? AX200 is bad - but i did not epected to be slower on dual stack.

So in case like mine where i have dual or single - what connections are preferred first ? IPv4 or IPv6
IPv6 is preferred over IPv4 by default. But you can change this.

Code:
ip6addrctl_enable="YES" # Set to YES to enable default address selection
ip6addrctl_verbose="NO" # Set to YES to enable verbose configuration messages
ip6addrctl_policy="AUTO"        # A pre-defined address selection policy
                                # (ipv4_prefer, ipv6_prefer, or AUTO)

just slapped SirDice given command on my laptop - speed from 20Mbps went to 15Mbps lol
Don't think this has anything to do with IPv6 being enabled or preferred. If IPv6 is enabled but not working properly you might see a slight delay when the IPv6 connection is tried first, fails (timeout) and the IPv4 fallback is tried. But once a connection has been established there is no speed (bandwidth) difference between IPv4 and IPv6.

IPv6 is preferred over IPv4 by default. But you can change this.

Code:
ip6addrctl_enable="YES" # Set to YES to enable default address selection
ip6addrctl_verbose="NO" # Set to YES to enable verbose configuration messages
ip6addrctl_policy="AUTO"        # A pre-defined address selection policy
                                # (ipv4_prefer, ipv6_prefer, or AUTO)

Don't think this has anything to do with IPv6 being enabled or preferred. If IPv6 is enabled but not working properly you might see a slight delay when the IPv6 connection is tried first, fails (timeout) and the IPv4 fallback is tried. But once a connection has been established there is no speed (bandwidth) difference between IPv4 and IPv6.
Then it gives me a no hope for AX200 then.
Changed to ipv6 preferred - same. Oh well ...
Thank You !

Well, I remember I've read somewhere that the FreeBSD Wifi drivers can't do more that Wifi G for now.
I don't remember my chipset, but my Lenovo X280 is definitely stuck on 54Mbps (that's an AC card) and should be considered if it's your main network connection (my last ZFS snapshot replication was... Long...).

Maybe https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi/Iwlwifi ?

Yeah, just went trough some commands and 54 is max . a, g - does not matter. and for me - using AC or no - speed wont change on wifi card but im curious why so low.
need to dig deeper. because if i run:
% pciconf -lv | grep -A1 -B3 network
i have nvme in there as well. Well ... i might gonna have to take apart and see what i can do.

Back