IP email address

Hello guys,

Please, can you tell me if is it possible go back to the email address of the sending PC ?
If so, which is the command sequence to do this in freebsd ?

Any suggestion and explaination is welcome.

Thanks very much in advance.

If this information is available (for example if the mail server doesn't remove it) you will find it in e-mail message headers.

You'd need to check the headers, then maybe lookup the IP in a Geo IP database. You won't get an exact location.

You'd need to check the headers
Are you sure that the header shows the IP of the sender PC ? or maybe the shown IP in the header is that of the Server of the Internet Service Provider (ISP) ?
This is my doubt.

Thanks in advance

The message headers should contain a full list of “received” headers, assuming the mail servers are not intentionally configured not to add the headers, and they have not been removed by something,

The first received header, which will be the lowest one in the list should detail the IP address of the first smtp server, and the address it received the message from. In the case of web based services like gmail, you’re obviously not going to get the address of the end user. Also if the user has a local mail server (like an exchange server on a lan), you’ll need to go further up the received chain to get the correct public address (as the client address in the first connection will be a lan address)

The original location information comes from the IP registries such as ripe/arin/etc. I’m sure you can find a decent lookup website with a 5 second google search. Note that, in most cases, location information is just where the IP is registered, not the actual end user address.

For basic home internet, you’ll probably find the IP address of an end user is part of a large block, and registered to the ISPs location, which could be hundreds of miles away. For a medium or larger business that have their own block of addresses, their ISP *may* have gone to the trouble of specifically registering that block to the customer, along with the customers address.

Please, can you suggest me an easy and friendly GEO IP Database ? Thanks in advance.
This is the best one, in my opinion. There are lots though.

I would like to emphasize that an IP is simply that. It is not inherently tied to any particular geographic location. Also bear in mind that the person or script using that IP is not likely in the same location (even continent) as the place where the IP is registered. If you're trying to find a spammer, forget it.

Are you sure that the header shows the IP of the sender PC ? or maybe the shown IP in the header is that of the Server of the Internet Service Provider (ISP) ?
This is my doubt.

Thanks in advance
If sender is Gmail user, you cannot see the IP. Other big email providers also hide the sender IP. For normal email server, you can see the IP in headers - see lines near From: / Subject.

Back