Iocage Setup

Hello fellow freeBSD community members,

Can you please help? I am trying to install iocage however when I try to

• Build the port as follows: cd /usr/ports/sysutils/iocage/ ; make install clean
This is the error that occurs halfway through,
1674719312969.png

Size mismatch,

I have also to use pkg install this is what occurs
1674719416402.png

The reason for wanting this package is for use with testing and learning more about FreeBSD Jails. I would like to use iocage as a jail management service.

Can you help?

yes, try with bastille;)..and iocage didn't use python 3.8 anymore...so you should try with upgraded package, just type pkg search iocage

Attachments

• Amministratore_ Windows PowerShell 26_01_2023 09_50_01.png
    Amministratore_ Windows PowerShell 26_01_2023 09_50_01.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Run: pkg search iocage
And you will get the right name of the package. Seems to be py39-iocage.

Edit : xedos832 it's not fair to edit your post after I posted to tell the same.

thanks everyone I found the issue. My CA is not fully installed on this box.

I was able find a command to get around this issue.
git config --global http sslVerify false
after this I can run git clone and get the iopackage

1674751072358.png

Run: pkg search iocage
And you will get the right name of the package. Seems to be py39-iocage.

Edit : xedos832 it's not fair to edit your post after I posted to tell the same.
1674751606839.png

thanks, installing pkg install py39-iocage got iocage commands to work not py38. My first iocage command iocage list is working and gave me some feedback after this package install. Now I can start to work on learning more about them with my book.

You'd better use the already compiled packages (i.e. pkg install) if you don't change the default options of the port. It's faster. Moreover here, I ain't sure of what you have done.

That being said, it's possible that iocage isn't the best solution for managing jails. I used it several years and eventually dropped it in favor of ezjail. This last is unfortunately obsolete and maybe you should consider to try other softwares like bastille as xedos832 advised you.

You'd better use the already compiled packages (i.e. pkg install) if you don't change the default options of the port. It's faster. Moreover here, I ain't sure of what you have done.

That being said, it's possible that iocage isn't the best solution for managing jails. I used it several years and eventually dropped it in favor of ezjail. This last is unfortunately obsolete and maybe you should consider to try other softwares like bastille as xedos832 advised you
Thanks for the reply, I have a textbook that I purchased called FreeBSD Mastery Jails by Michael W Lucas when I was working on my AA, so I am still just learning about Jails. Again, this textbook goes really in depth with iocages as the management application. Moreover, we never really covered Jails during my AA, I found some information during studies and wanted more information. I just really want to play around with it. Thanks for your suggestions. I am getting my feet wet with Jails and jailed processes alongside jailed hosts. They look to be similar to something like a Docker or Kebernets container.

I ended up not using a jail-management tool.
Just untarring base.txz & kernel.txz and editing /etc/jail.conf
The book talks about non use of iocage also. I wanted to check out both to expand my knowledge with.
Here is my test if you want to check out iocage jails. . .
First I ran a iocage fetch to get some fresh images for use. I used 12.4 and 13.1 for use
after. . .
1674793807746.png

(Image: iocage list -r showing what base images I have fetched and waiting for use)

So far so good I just got the images staged. I can't wait to see if I can get a shell in one.

1674793987137.png

(Image: creation of two iocage jails "like virtual containers" )
I have created two Iocage Jails and named them panopticon1 and panopticon2
1674794229498.png

(Image: iocage list showing 2 installed Iocage Jails installed one running)
looking good I have not set any ip4 addresses however I can still access the prompts to play with them!!! Thanks, they are working now.

1674794284221.png

(Image: Iocage Jail panopticon2 console prompt)

I can start working on getting them internet access now and setting them up with layer3 ip addresses.

I was able to get it working with shared ip addresses per https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking.html

1674796885851.png

Thanks everyone this is my first FreeBSD iocage jail running lynx with shared ip address option.

1674797111107.png

(Image: jls showing multiple Jails running with shared ip addresses enabled. )

Back