Internet of Things

• Thread starter Deleted member 9563
  • Start date
I have a flipphone without internet access,
Same boat here, but I have bad news. Our fliphones are 3G. ATT is shutting down their 3G network in 2022.
Ruttro.
Enter Locational tracking, E-911 and nice messages from our commander in cheif. All absent on my 3G device.
You see, 3G in US for ATT uses 850 and 1900mhz. They are going bye-bye for 700mhz 4G-LTE frequencies.
The only other competing service is VZN. They are on upper 700mhz too. Their CDMA system is gone too I believe.
They were on 850/1900mhz too I believe.

700mhz is cheaper gear to run with lower power requirements for equal coverage. There is alot of incentive for the carrier to switch.

Our days are limited. What do we do......

Yeah I'm not too happy about that. I'm anti-internet phone as well. I have two and neither connect. I already knew about the death of 3G and I'm really not happy being forced into using an internet enabled phone. Aside from the expense of buying new phones, which are not exactly cheap these days, it will require me to carry two "smartphone" packages adding about eighty bucks a month in fees.

It's just a ploy to squeeze out us low paying customers. It's always about fleecing the flock, though they mask it under the guise of upgrading technology. Won't be long till we glow in the dark from radiation exposure to 5G, all so we can upload selfies to Facebook faster.

700mhz is cheaper gear to run with lower power requirements for equal coverage. There is alot of incentive for the carrier to switch.

Our days are limited. What do we do......

Break out my scanning receivers and see if I can hear anything on 700MHz. That was my passion before computers and I ran a bank of 5 scanners, it's just bothersome noise now. A dual conversion scanner would pick up "images" of transmissions 21 MHz lower than the blocked 800MHz band it took place in. A triple conversion scanner filtered that out as a feature.

The Sheriff Dept. used a scrambler on their radios to talk privately about everything from what they wanted for lunch to high level secret passwords to the State central site, according to the rumor mill. It didn't interest me or I would have bought a descrambler from a magazine to hook up inline between scanner and external speaker.

The police used cellphones when they wanted to speak privately, or so I was told. I heard the wireless mic the Drug Task Force used every time they turned it on and sometimes when people wore it to buy contraband if within a few blocks. A cop sat within distance to record the conversation as court evidence, so it seemed like the thing to do.

I listened to the female astronaut we sent to the MIR Space Station in the mid 90's when she was broadcasting to HAM radio operators using a handheld scanner and dipole antenna. She had to be right overhead. I used a multi-band groundplane for the rest. I taped it and had the Radio Mag with the story about it to go with it

I lived a block from that girl I still hang out with sometime and she used a cordless phone. She was surprised when I walked down and told her what I just heard her say, both parties she had talked to and all the sordid details. Then got mad that I had monitored it but learned from the experience and stopped using it.

I think this video make clear how important IoT improved some industries.

Wärtisilä is unkown to almost all people but just to give a glance about 1/3 of the worldwide merchant navy operate with their engines.

[EDIT]

This is a Vimeo video. IDK what this is asking for e-mail and such but you can access the video directly HERE.

Back