Other Intermediate filesystem between FreeBSD and Linux

Hello! I have FreeBSD 10 with zfs file system and Linux on ext4 partition. After several tries I failed to mount ext4 in FreeBSD with write permissions. So I decided to ask few questions here...
1. Is there natural and solid support (with write permissions) for ext4 filesystem in FreeBSD?
2. If not - what modern filesystem do you recommend to use to exchange data between FreeBSD and Linux bidirectionally?
3. If yes - where is bright and complete manual to mount ext4 in FreeBSD?
Thanks!

I can't speak to if this fits all your requirements, but using FUSE and the port sysutils/fusefs-ext4fuse should help. Let us know if that ends up meeting everything you are looking to do.
I mounted ext4 with sysutils/fusefs-ext4fuse But I can not write to it... Only read! (of course may be I just didn't configure some magic options in configuration files..) I googled for some bright configuration manuals but found this statement:
"If I'm not mistaken, sysutils/fusefs-ext4fuse does not (yet) support read-write mounts, just read-only"
here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/fixing-permission-for-mnt.38485/

But I want to have full read/write access to Linux partition!

Last edited by a moderator:
2. If not - what modern filesystem do you recommend to use to exchange data between FreeBSD and Linux bidirectionally?
Code:
sshfs
or
Code:
nfs
What do you mean by a modern file system? The latest and greatest file system HAMMER is DragonFly only. Second the last was ZFS and Linux lags behind comparing to FreeBSD version which means that you can import Linux created ZFS pool but not the other way around.Between default file system in Linux (read Red Hat) is XFS. That is Silicon Graphics file system from IRIX which was ported to Linux when Silicon Graphics realized that Linux has no usable file system period. I concur that XFS is little bit younger than UFS. Modern? Sure if you were college student in early 90s of the last century like me and used XFS on an Indy workstation. Support for XFS read used to be available and is still available I think in NetBSD. So if you want read-write local FS from Linux and and FreeBSD you are pretty much stuck with modern FAT16 file system :)

Replacing Ext4 with XFS for a boot/root partition is one of few bright spots on Red Hat 7.XXX branch.

I'm fairly sure ext3 is read/write on FreeBSD with inode limitations.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/filesystems-linux.html

A while back I transferred a bunch of stuff to FreeBSD. I seem to remember using ext3 to do it. -don't quote me on that but it might be worth testing.

Oko
I love XFS and use it on my debian rigs. Its also available on wheezy if you -> choose it during install -> add fastboot temporarily to grub -> boot > install xfsprogs -> reboot ;)

It would be extremely handy if it worked on FreeBSD.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
I'm fairly sure ext3 is read/write on FreeBSD with inode limitations.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/filesystems-linux.html

A while back I transferred a bunch of stuff to FreeBSD. I seem to remember using ext3 to do it. -don't quote me on that but it might be worth testing.

Oko
I love XFS and use it on my debian rigs. Its also available on wheezy if you -> choose it during install -> add fastboot temporarily to grub -> boot > install xfsprogs -> reboot ;)

It would be extremely handy if it worked on FreeBSD.

+1 for XFS on FreeBSD

+1 for XFS on FreeBSD

I'm seem to recall when you delete something on xfs the area on the drive the data was deleted from is immediately reallocated to something else for rewrite/reuse. Making recovery difficult, something great for privacy conscious people.

If you want XFS back on FreeBSD you'll have to do it yourself or find someone with the right skills and motivate that person to work on it. FreeBSD is developed by its users and nothing will happen unless the users themself take action.

If you want XFS back on FreeBSD you'll have to do it yourself or find someone with the right skills and motivate that person to work on it. FreeBSD is developed by its users and nothing will happen unless the users themself take action.
Porting a new file system is such a big job that it would probably require a company sponsorship and a few fulltime developers. Most big things in FreeBSD don't happen because the little guy thinks they are useful.

Hello! I have FreeBSD 10 with zfs file system and Linux on ext4 partition. After several tries I failed to mount ext4 in FreeBSD with write permissions. So I decided to ask few questions here...
1. Is there natural and solid support (with write permissions) for ext4 filesystem in FreeBSD?
3. If yes - where is bright and complete manual to mount ext4 in FreeBSD?
Thanks!
ZFS works great between Linux and FreeBSD as long as the zpools are created and updated on Linux due to some missing features as mentioned by Oko already. It's what I use. FAT32 also works fine between the two, though I don't like it myself. I wouldn't trust any of the FUSE based file systems as in my experience, every one of the ports for them are unreliable. That may be due to FreeBSD's FUSE implementation but I don't know. Your options are really a network file system like NFS or ZFS. I don't really see any other alternatives in the present.
<---- Hoping HAMMER2 gets ported to FreeBSD.
IMHO, I highly doubt either of the HAMMER file systems will ever be ported over to FreeBSD unless someone very talented and ambitious takes a serious interest.

Thanks to everybody! I knew a lot of interesting here!!
When I said modern I meant without such limitations as in fat32 for example (limitation for partition size and single file size). I made some tries to mount ntfs with write access in FreeBSD in past. But did not succeed. That is why I started to search something else and created this topic. But yesterday I accidently found bright and enough instructions to mount ntfs in FreeBSD with write permissions. And ntfs partiton is sufficient for me this time..
But I think this topic was not useless. It was interesting and usefull! Thanks again!

Back