Intel Xeon vs. Ryzen

Wow, I have a z800 I am trying to unload: Xeon x5550 (?) (2 x 6 core) and 96GB ram. Not sure where you are on the planet though, lol.

Wow, I have a z800 I am trying to unload: Xeon x5550 (?) (2 x 6 core) and 96GB ram. Not sure where you are on the planet though, lol.

Haha it's all good :) I liked the z440 because the CPU in it doesn't have too high of a TDP. I can also get an L model in there too if I want... I wanted something newer for the faster RAM speeds, PCIe3.0, SATA III, and I'm pretty sure the CPU supports h264 encode/decode. If not, I have an nvidia card that has that + h265

There's some market segmentation confusion going on on the Intel side for that generation. I have two unusual system setups, one is an Xeon e3-1240 V5 and the other is a i7-6850K. You tell me which one looks like a server to you.
The first one, the Xeon, has a C236 motherboard (MSI Workstation) which supports ECC memory and Xeon V5 chips, however in quality it looks almost identical to other MSI Z170 boards that I've seen (which in fairness are really nice boards) with the typical four RAM slots and one LAN slot and six SATA ports and an m.2 slot. In other words it looks more like a gaming board than a server board. And the Xeon itself is a 4/8 CPU, basically an i7-6700 with a little more juice. It'll fit in a normal 1151 slot but won't boot up (needs the C232 or C236 setup).

The second setup, with the i7, uses a Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard which looks like a real server board - it has 8 RAM slots and 2 LAN ports and 8 SATA ports. It doesn't come with an m.2 slot but included a PCIe adapter card. The (giant) LGA 2011-3 CPU is 6/12, which was high end for the time and still on par with i7-8700s and first gen Ryzen 7s. However the board doesn't support ECC RAM unfortunately.

Back