Intel UHD Graphics 750

My new motherboard has Intel UHD Graphics 750.

Using FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE there doesn't appear to be support for it and I am just getting a generic VGA display. I installed xorg and startx fails due to Framebuffer mode.

I have installed drm-kmod and set to "i915kms" but no change.

I do got get any errors or messages relating to i915 during startup. This makes me think the driver is not trying to work with this device?

I did note some linux comment online about forcing the driver to probe this device I'd (0x4c8a) but I don't know if this can be done in FreeBSD or if its a bad idea in general?

I have reinstalled using 13.0-STABLE from yesterday. I installed drm-devel-kmod from ports but no change.

dmesg reports this:
Code:
vgapci0: <VGA-Compatible display>

No mention of i915 in /var/log/messages.

Interestingly reinstalling confirmed something I thought yesterday. The ISO installer appears to use a good display driver. I will try it on Live CD mode and see what I can find.

No mention of i915 in /var/log/messages.
Did the module load? Check with kldstat(8).
Interestingly reinstalling confirmed something I thought yesterday. The ISO installer appears to use a good display driver.
The installation media doesn't have a driver at all. There is a difference between UEFI and CSM boot though, EUFI booting enables the EFI framebuffer graphics.

I had a look at the Live CD version and it reports the same in dmesg and pciconf.

The difference is it sets the correct resolution for my monitor so it looks a lot better.

i915kms.ko is loaded according to kldstat.

I tinkered with a setting and broke my loader.conf file, in recovering this using Boot Options to unset my mistake I noticed a module_blacklist which had the 3 drm-kmod drivers listed?

I noticed a module_blacklist which had the 3 drm-kmod drivers listed?
Those are the old ones from previous FreeBSD versions. FreeBSD 12 for example had a i915kms.ko but that driver was old, the modules from graphics/drm-kmod are meant to replace those. On 13.0 that old i915kms.ko was removed.

Code:
module_blacklist="drm drm2 radeonkms i915kms amdgpu"    # Loader module blacklist

No real progress made but I will have a look at the src for drm-devel-kmod.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking the driver isn't recognising my hardware as a match so I need to work out if it should or if the driver just isn't there yet.

This is based on a Linux Mint forums posting; Apparently the integrated GPU, UHD 750, in Intel Rocket Lake CPU's needs at least a 5.11 Linux kernel to work with the i915 driver.

FreeBSD's LinuxKPI for drm-kmod is currently at most at version 5.7 (WIP). drm-devel-kmod is at 5.5.19. I haven't found a FreeBSD source for confirmation, but it looks like the UHD 750 is unsupported on FreeBSD for the time being.

To make sure you could open an issue on Github.

Thanks for this, I will take a look.

Is it the case that it is produced for Linux first with Intel support then is picked up and ported for BSD?

I did see some reference to Intel 11th Gen types in the src but not Rocket Lake.

I feel committed to trying FreeBSD now so I'll probably just pick up a cheap graphics card off ebay.

Back