intel i915 from 12.1 on 13

eaosfu

Hello,

Since upgrading from 12.2 to 13 I've been experiencing the following issue with the i915 driver:

I never had this issue with 12.1 or 12.2. I'm wondering if:

A) Is there a way to get the 12.1 version of the i915 driver running on 13
B) I'd like to help debug the issue so I don't mind checkout different versions of the code and testing to see at what point the bug is introduced. But I don't how to match the driver sources to the kernel sources. If someone could point me to the documentation on how this is done I'd be glad to dig through this.
Thanks in advance.

mer

Aspiring Daemon

pkg upgrade from earlier today showed update to drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.144.g20211013
I would give that a try first before anything else

OP
E

eaosfu

pkg upgrade from earlier today showed update to drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.144.g20211013
I would give that a try first before anything else
Thanks for the suggestion. Just installed the package, rebooted, and ran a suspend/resume cycle. Still got wedged.

Code:
pkg info | grep drm
drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.144.g20211013 DRM modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS components
libdrm-2.4.106,1               Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering Module services

OP
E

eaosfu

Is there a way to unload and then reload the i915 driver? I tried the naive way of doing this, mainly just writing a script that would do:

kldunload i915.ko

sleep 5

kldload i915.ko

But that didn't seem to work. Is such a thing even possible? Right now the I'm just stuck rebooting the machine whenever the driver is wedged. I try not locking my screen before closing the lid, but its pretty hardwired behavior at this point.

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

… unload … the i915 driver? …

I don't know about i915, but generally: it's advisable to not attempt to unload kernel modules for DRM. Expect a kernel panic.

… no longer required since 12.0?

<https://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel/#packages> packages are available for FreeBSD:12:amd64, FreeBSD:13:amd64, FreeBSD:14:amd64 and more.

I don't know why it's legacy, sorry

Side note:

the3ajm

You can try booting into single user mode and login to your profile, then you can load i915 and start X to test.

the3ajm

Is that possible?

I mean, there should be an exit (from single user mode, to multi-user mode) before a login prompt can appear …

When you enter that mode, it'll jump you into a console with the chance to load i915 driver, if it works then it'll refresh your resolution but if not then hopefully it shows on the logs. You need to login with the profile so it'll ask for a username and password but I would just use this for a test to see if the driver is working.