Solved Intel i3-2120 Integrated Graphics with drm-kmod is working only in software rendering mode (llvmpipe)?

[...] If there is
Code:
i915kms_load="YES"
Then the old driver from base will definitely be loaded. So you need to remove that line [...]
No, IIUC they do not get loaded via loader.conf(5), because they are blacklisted in /boot/defaults/loader.conf. Nevertheless, they can be loaded via kld_list in rc.conf(5).
Abraham79 If you liked Gnome, you can try Mate or Cinnamon. Else, many are pleased with XfCE4. I'm on KDE (5), despite some flaws (that all DEs have, as well as too many Linuxisms -- except Lumina) I'm happy with that. LxDE & LxQt are not mature yet, but YMMV. Remember that you must apply some configuration knobs manually. Search for my "Standard disclaimer" in the forum.

No, IIUC they do not get loaded via loader.conf(5), because they are blacklisted in /boot/defaults/loader.conf. Nevertheless, they can be loaded via kld_list in rc.conf(5).
Abraham79 If you liked Gnome, you can try Mate or Cinnamon. Else, many are pleased with XfCE4. I'm on KDE (5), despite some flaws (that all DEs have, as well as too many Linuxisms -- except Lumina) I'm happy with that. LxDE & LxQt are not mature yet, but YMMV. Remember that you must apply some configuration knobs manually. Search for my "Standard disclaimer" in the forum.
Cinnamon seems a little outdated in FreeBSD. How is KDE 5?
BTW, Is Lumina desktop active now a days? Heard about like.. it's the project mostly focused on FreeBSD desktop?

• Abraham79 IIRC you moved the drivers from /boot/kernel to /boot/modules manually? Please do as root: pkg check --checksums -gv drm\*
  • IIUC Lumina is actively developed. Yes, it's focus is to get rid of Linuxisms and to provide a BSD desktop.
  • A re-install is not required. Due to the nature of FreeBSD, the base is clearly separated from ports(7). But if you want to switch from STABLE to RELEASE, it might be easier for newbies to do so.
  • On KDE: I like it, but if you're used to Gnome & liked it, XfCE or Mate might better suit your taste. You can try them out via boot environments (wiki).

Then after the base OS install, either use sysutils/desktop-installer or please go step-by-step:
  1. Install the graphics/drm-kmod & verify: the console's resolution changes during boot when the driver gets loaded.
  2. Install x11/xorg-minimal & verify: startx(1) shows the traditional raster pattern.
  3. install the DE of you choice via it's meta package.
  4. During all this, read pkg message|less & apply the requested settings. Extra pkg(8) alias: message: "query '[%C/%n] %M'", in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf.

• Abraham79 IIRC you moved the drivers from /boot/kernel to /boot/modules manually? Please do as root: pkg check --checksums -gv drm\*
  • IIUC Lumina is actively developed. Yes, it's focus is to get rid of Linuxisms and to provide a BSD desktop.
  • A re-install is not required. Due to the nature of FreeBSD, the base is clearly separated from ports(7). But if you want to switch from STABLE to RELEASE, it might be easier for newbies to do so.
  • On KDE: I like it, but if you're used to Gnome & liked it, XfCE or Mate might better suit your taste. You can try them out via boot environments (wiki).
If re-install is not needed, what is the step? Should I extract the base overwriting the files?

(1) I did not mixed both. What I did was created 2 directories kernel & modules in ~/ and move /boot/kernel/drm2, i915kms to the kernel directory and vice versa with /boot/modules. I moved back the modules to the original directories later. It's left untouched.
(2) Great. I doubt how many here use Lumina.

Then after the base OS install, either use sysutils/desktop-installer or please go step-by-step:
  1. Install the graphics/drm-kmod & verify: the console's resolution changes during boot when the driver gets loaded.
  2. Install x11/xorg-minimal & verify: startx(1) shows the traditional raster pattern.
  3. install the DE of you choice via it's meta package.
  4. During all this, read pkg message|less & apply the requested settings. Extra pkg(8) alias: message: "query '[%C/%n] %M'", in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf.
Precisely what I did for this installation. I installed xorg-minimal and Gnome3-lite and did go through pkg messages. Thanks again.

EDIT: I've a query - My system's EFI partition is /dev/ada0p1 and probable / is /dev/ada1p2. With bsdinstall, it did not created boot directories in EFI partition. I used gpart bootcode .. to create this. Anything I'm missing here.

@mjollnir : I don't want to create another thread. I have installed 12.1 RELEASE version without any issues. Followed xorg-minimal and gnome3-lite (with some extra apps). I have the intel driver working fine. There is no problem with login into Gnome and so far, everything is smooth.
But, in the dmesg, I saw this message, I searched the forum and many says to ignore this:
Code:
[drm] Unable to create a private tmpfs mount, hugepage support will be disabled(-19).
Failed to add WC MTRR for [0xe0000000-0xefffffff]: -22; performance may suffer

Rest, I am getting proper resolution 1920x1080 @75Hz and the icm profile also auto-loaded for this monitor.
Though, I saw some black squares like artefacts when nautilus FM was launched for the first time.
Screenshot from 2020-09-28 08-52-10.png

Attached are the logs. I hope this time got the installation done correctly.
Code:
% doas kldstat   
Id Refs Address                Size Name
 1   36 0xffffffff80200000  2448f20 kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff8264a000     2ca0 coretemp.ko
 3    1 0xffffffff8264d000    262b0 fuse.ko
 4    1 0xffffffff829e6000   12ccb0 i915kms.ko
 5    1 0xffffffff82b13000    76570 drm.ko
 6    4 0xffffffff82b8a000    10eb0 linuxkpi.ko
 7    3 0xffffffff82b9b000    12f30 linuxkpi_gplv2.ko
 8    2 0xffffffff82bae000      6d0 debugfs.ko
 9    1 0xffffffff82baf000     18a0 uhid.ko
10    1 0xffffffff82bb1000     2928 ums.ko
11    1 0xffffffff82bb4000    25968 ipfw.ko
12    1 0xffffffff82bda000     88d8 tmpfs.ko

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 140
  • glxinfo.txt
    27.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Xorg.0.log.txt
    38.1 KB · Views: 136
  • EFI: my EFI partition has a subdir efi/boot with 2 files: BOOTx64.efi & startup.nsh. If your system boots, I'd say it's fine, right?
  • [drm] Unable to create a private tmpfs mount,...: I do ignore these, too :) Dunno if I should treat it as a bug.
  • Black artefacts (screenshot): 1st I would install x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel. It is autodetected by the Xserver (see Xorg.0.log). Else look for the GUI's compositor, OpenGL and/or modesetting(4)/intel(4) & adjust relevant settings. E.g. I have Option "TearFree" "on" in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/video.conf for the intel(4) driver. For the modesetting(4) that you currently have, I would try to set the option PageFlip to off. Setting the Option "AccelMethod" is another idea (IIRC EXA: mature, UXA: modern, SNA: young; also possible here: glamor & then you must load the
    Code:
    Section "Module"
    load "glamoregl"
    EndSection

• EFI: my EFI partition has a subdir efi/boot with 2 files: BOOTx64.efi & startup.nsh. If your system boots, I'd say it's fine, right?
  • [drm] Unable to create a private tmpfs mount,...: I do ignore these, too :) Dunno if I should treat it as a bug.
  • Black artefacts (screenshot): 1st I would install x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel. It is autodetected by the Xserver (see Xorg.0.log). Else look for the GUI's compositor, OpenGL and/or modesetting(4)/intel(4) & adjust relevant settings. E.g. I have Option "TearFree" "on" in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/video.conf for the intel(4) driver. For the modesetting(4) that you currently have, I would try to set the option PageFlip to off. Setting the Option "AccelMethod" is another idea (IIRC EXA: mature, UXA: modern, SNA: young; also possible here: glamor & then you must load the
    Code:
    Section "Module"
    load "glamoregl"
    EndSection

1. I have 2 drives - One is an old Intel 330 SSD and other is a WD hard drive. The EFI partition is in SSD while I installed FreeBSD in WD hard drive. The installer did not create EFI/boot directory. I ran gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat -i 1 adaX on the EFI partition which created /boot/BOOTX64.efi & startup.nsh files. But, I had the refind, Windows boot manager erased by this. I had to re-install rEFInd and Windows Boot Manager (which is OK). rEFInd did not auto-detect FreeBSD. I have to add below lines in /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf:

Code:
    menuentry "FreeBSD-12.1 RELEASE" {

loader \EFI\freebsd\boot\BOOTx64.efi

icon \EFI\refind\icons\os_freebsd.png

}
  2. I have posted a bug report in kms-drm: https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/249
  3. Black artefacts showed up only on the first boot in Gnome. Later, everything is going OK. But, I have installed libva-intel-driver which may have helped. No issues there.
Additionally, some small niggles that may need to be taken care of - adding hw.snd.default_unit=4 in /etc/sysctl.conf to get sound working. Still, the Gnome sound slider does nothing. pavucontrol is used to adjust sound volume. Is there a way to get the proper device pcm4 (HDMI in my case) to be mapped to Gnome volume control?
Code:
:~% cat /dev/sndstat   
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 5.1/2.0)> (play/rec)
pcm1: <Realtek ALC892 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm2: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Digital)> (play)
pcm3: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Digital)> (play)
pcm4: <Intel Cougar Point (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
No devices installed from userspace.

Hello Abraham79,

i just want to mention that most things like audio control, hardware detection etc.. dont work with gnome 3 here.

I also saw that my GPU is LLVM pipe but then i saw the real result with glxinfo | grep OpenGL

Everyone can use what he likes, no quarrel. But to be honest, i think you should find another desktop enviroment. Gnome 3 is dead here because of systemd and other stuff.

@mjollnir: Done. I'm marking this thread as solved.
The problem was with the FreeBSD-12-STABLE version that I installed somehow did not seems to have proper driver initialization. I don't know the reason, but switching to FreeBSD-12.1 RELEASE version with Gnome-3.28.x is working fine for me, for the few hours I worked with. Of course, not all settings are working. I will make a note on my FreeBSD install. Thank you for all the help, including the guy who pointed out the issue was with 12.1-STABLE.
Everyone can use what he likes, no quarrel. But to be honest, i think you should find another desktop environment. Gnome 3 is dead here because of systemd and other stuff.
I came here because, I preferred a non-systemd system (of which Devuan Linux and FreeBSD that I likes). I've been using Linux since 2002, and is accustomed or time-locked to the old ways. Switched to Devuan (Beowulf). But, FreeBSD always intrigued me, the last I tried many years back. Regarding systemd, I don't really see it as a issue for Desktop users. But, mine is a personal preference.

I also saw that my GPU is LLVM pipe but then i saw the real result with glxinfo | grep OpenGL
Mine. It seems Gnome-3.28 is working just OK.
Screenshot from 2020-09-29 21-17-11.png

Gnome-3, despite the way developers are linking it with more systemd dependencies, is a DE that is just fine for me. I prefer it to MATE and KDE. I hope FreeBSD gets the latest Gnome-3.x packages. To each his/her own :) No quarrel, each to his own.
--

Back