general/other Installing runhyve / webapp : considerations...

Hello.

I find very useful to have a web application to manage all my bhyve virtual machines. So,I've found this :

and I tried to install it :
Code:
# pkg install docker
# pkg install docker-machine
# git clone https://gitlab.com/runhyve/webapp.git

Clone in 'webapp' in corso...
remote: Enumerating objects: 6096, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (2278/2278), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1924/1924), done.
remote: Total 6096 (delta 313), reused 2257 (delta 301), pack-reused 3818
Ricezione degli oggetti: 100% (6096/6096), 7.18 MiB | 9.37 MiB/s, fatto.
Risoluzione dei delta: 100% (2874/2874), fatto.

# cd webapp

# docker-compose up -d
ERROR: Couldn't connect to Docker daemon - you might need to run `docker-machine start default`.

# docker-machine start default
Docker machine "default" does not exist. Use "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a new one.

# docker-machine create --driver virtualbox webapp-bhyve

I see that the only driver that I can use is virtualbox. But someone said to me that virtualbox decreases the performances of bhyve. So,is there another driver that I can use that don't do that ? I'm reading about "runhyve" ; what is this ? :p

Code:
# docker-machine create --driver virtualbox webapp-bhyve

Running pre-create checks...
(webapp-bhyve) Image cache directory does not exist, creating it at /root/.docker/machine/cache...
(webapp-bhyve) No default Boot2Docker ISO found locally, downloading the latest release...
(webapp-bhyve) Latest release for github.com/boot2docker/boot2docker is v19.03.12
(webapp-bhyve) Downloading /root/.docker/machine/cache/boot2docker.iso from https://github.com/boot2docker/boot2docker/r
eleases/download/v19.03.12/boot2docker.iso...
(webapp-bhyve) 0%....10%....20%....30%....40%....50%....60%....70%....80%....90%....100%
Creating machine...
(webapp-bhyve) Copying /root/.docker/machine/cache/boot2docker.iso to /root/.docker/machine/machines/webapp-bhyve/boot2d
ocker.iso...
(webapp-bhyve) Creating VirtualBox VM...
(webapp-bhyve) Creating SSH key...
Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: /usr/local/bin/VBoxManage sharedfolder add webapp-bhyve
--name hosthome --hostpath /home --automount failed:
VBoxManage: error: Shared folder path '/home' is not a directory
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057), component SharedFolderWrap, interface ISharedFolder,
callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "CreateSharedFolder(Bstr(pszName).raw(), Bstr(szAbsHostPath).raw(), fWritable, fAutoMount, B
str(pszAutoMountPoint).raw())" at line 1194 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

I find it funny that someone is writing software for bhyve (which is mainly for FreeBSD/Smartos or maybe even xhyve) which then needs to run inside a Docker container where we all know that docker does not run on FreeBSD.
What is the sense of having a VM to run docker inside that VM to run the software to manage the VMs on the host? You should probably run the software as described in "using local environment"

Chef,kubernetes,docker seem to be a real hype.
But then , there are some good movies also,

did you play sometime with Docker ? On linux I did for 6 months because I worked on a project for Blender. To build a container with the CUDA libraries inside for rendering the blender projects + the sikuli application for creating standardized mini macros for Blender : I can say that Docker is able to create some sort of addiction.

As a child i was so lazy that i wanted a remote control for my TVs remote control.
(Not really, but i told so my cousin and she believed it!)

My sensation is that you like to complicate your life. If not,I don't understand why you call you "lazy" and not "smart" for example. There are good and bad sides for everything. GUI and web interfaces are made to make the life easier,so why to blame them ? there may be circumstances when / where you want to get some relax and you want to delegate some boring work to someone or to something ? For me there are.

Back