Installing Problem (ASUS Eee1000H)

Hello,
this is the first time i posting a thread to FreeBSD forum as i am new user and i have many problems to solve.
I read the handbook but i can't find solution.
I try to install the FreeBSD at ASUS Eee1000H and everything goes good, but when i login and type "startx" nothing happens.
I wan't to start the xfce but nothing.
I attach i picture for help.

Attachments

• P5141438 (540x313).jpg
    P5141438 (540x313).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 327
How did you install Xfce?
It seems it's missing vital components (like xfce4-session) that are supposed to be included in the meta-port.

What's in your .xinitrc exactly?

Does Xorg work fine?

Or maybe you just need to "rehash"?

Ok i installed again with the default options and without a port collection. (In the previous installation may do something wrong.)
Now when I write "startx" starts the Xorg but not xfce4 manager.
How can i install it from a cd?

from command line you should issue startxfce4 and not startx. else you can add the exec xfce4-session in your .xinitrc and then startx will activate xfce4 by default.

Beastie said:
So actually you never had xfce4 installed???? No wonder it didn't work.

And BTW, it was probably not necessary to reinstall Xorg.

Xfce is not on any CD, AFAIK. You'll just have to use # pkg_add -r xfce4 (as explained in the manual, section 5.7.4.2) to get it remotely, or manually fetch its packages along with all its dependencies from the ftp and use pkg_add locally.

Please read the manual. It's there for a reason.

I have read the manual but I thought that everything would be in the 3 cd with the downloaded distribution.
I can't use the ftp way so i downloaded the xfce4 and how can to fetch it?
How can i use the pkg_add locally?
If i knew all i obviously i wouldn't need help...

jimisrules said:
How can i use the pkg_add locally?
Just download the files, stick them on a cd or memory stick. Cd to that directory and
Code:
# pkg_add <packagename>

The -r switch will try to fetch it remotely, without it it will use a local package.

Back