Installing Network Driver

Trying to install RealTek network driver and run into an error.

Code:
cd /usr
cd ports
cd rtl_bsd_drv_v184

make install

install -0 root -g wheel -m 555 if_re.ko /boot/kernel
install: if_re.ko: No such file or directory
*** Error code 71

Am I doing something wrong or did I burn a corrupt .tgz file to disk?

Thanks.

The re(4) driver is built into the GENERIC kernel with the:
Code:
device    re
kernel configuration statement. To verify, execute kldload if_re. It should return:
Code:
root:/root# kldload if_re
kldload: can't load if_re: module already loaded or in kernel
So unless you are working wit a CUSTOM kernel, which you neglected to mention, you should already be good to go.

Yes, sorry it is a CUSTOM kernel, what can I do to change that so I can get internet on? I lost all my old hardware in a tornado last week and was only able to save the hard drive so the entire system is just confused of my new hardware. I just never been through this before so really need help.

If I understand correctly, your new Motherboard has on-board ReakTeK Ethernet, which is not getting recognized at boot because your CUSTOM kernel does not include re(4). As a result, you have no network and no Internet. Is that correct?

If so, put the following statement in /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
if_re_load="YES"
and reboot. That will load the if_re.ko kernel module at boot and your RealTek Ethernet should be configured. After your system reboots, execute pci -lbcev and make sure a driver has been attached to your RealTek Ethernet device.

You're making it all too complicated. The simplest way to see if the NIC works with the re(4) driver in the kernel you have is to run ifconfig and see if the NIC is listed as re0. Just saying that you don't have internet is no information to us because there can dozens and dozens of different reasons why it's not working. Always provide as much information as possible when asking for help.

mrmike19597 said:
I have this in my custom kernel
Code:
device miibus
device re
Then you do not need if_re_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf. Remove it and reboot.

After you reboot, I'd like to see the output of uname -a, ifconfig and pci-lbcev.

mrmike19597 said:
and also typing kidload if_re outputs:

Code:
kidload: can't load if_re: File exists

Well that is a sure sign that the kernel already has the same driver included and the additional driver module you're trying to load can not be used.

mrmike19597 said:
I also removed command from loader.conf and when I type kidload if_re it now says command not found.
kldload(8), not kidload.
My bad, should be pciconf -lbcev. Note the space between the command and the option flags.
Hmm, ifconfig does not show the RealTek NIC at all. I'll await the output of pciconf -lbcev.

pciconf -lbcev says illegal option and gives samples like

Code:
pciconf -l [-bcev]
pciconf -a
pciconf -r
pciconf -w

So I tried pciconf -l and got 2 pages of codes, should I send that?

mrmike19597 said:
pciconf -lbcev says illegal option
What version of FreeSBD is this? pciconf -lbcev works for me on FreeBSD-9.2, FreeBSD-10.0 and FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT.
mrmike19597 said:
So I tried pciconf -l and got 2 pages of codes, should I send that?
No, that does not tell us anything really useful.

Sorry I am on FreeBSD 7, trying to save some stuff before I upgrade which is why I am trying to get the internet on, my old mobo used realtek and new one does as well. I have another network card I can use which is PCI DGE-530T D-LINK but not sure how to set that one up since I can't find a FreeBSD driver for it.

Providing the output of the ifconfig command would be very nice too, as I said above there are some very simple ways to debug this type of problems but if you don't want to listen to advice then what can we do?

kpa said:
Providing the output of the ifconfig command would be very nice too, as I said above there are some very simple ways to debug this type of problems but if you don't want to listen to advice then what can we do?
You probably missed it because it was included as a link to a jpg a couple posts up, not in-line.

wblock@ said:
That D-Link card is probably supported by FreeBSD 7. After installing it, run ifconfig(8) to see the new interface name.

Can you tell me how to run that? I see all the commands there just unsure which one I should use.. but the DLINK never got my internet on either.

mrmike19597 said:
wblock@ said:
That D-Link card is probably supported by FreeBSD 7. After installing it, run ifconfig(8) to see the new interface name.

Can you tell me how to run that? I see all the commands there just unsure which one I should use.. but the DLINK never got my internet on either.
ifconfig

Is there a manual to setup the D-Link? Like RealTek is re(4) like how I have it set in the kernel configuration. I don't see anything set for D-Link.

There is no set up for network cards outside the rc.conf(5) settings and there are no drivers to install. The NIC is either supported or not supported by the kernel. If it is supported it will show up in ifconfig output, if it's not it won't show up in the output.

Anyway, you have to upgrade your OS to at least 8.4 to be sure your system is safe against some recent and quite serious security threats. I would just back up the system and install 8.4 from scratch and restore the configurations from the back ups and install the missing software from ports/packages. FreeBSD 8.4 is likely to support your new hardware out of the box. If 8.4 doesn't work for you there is FreeBSD 9.1 that you can also try.

Back