Solved Installing mariadb-connector-odbc removes mariadb-server package

Hello all,

I am trying to install mariadb-server with the mariadb-connector-odbc on the same server but i am unsuccessfull.
when installing one , it wants to remove the other.

I have tried installing from pkg with default FreeBSD Repo, but also with my Poudriere Repo, but with the same result.

Does anybody know what i am missing. i cannot find any options to the packages.

I'am using FreeBSD 12.0

Code:
pkg install mariadb-connector-odbc

Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
  - mariadb102-client-10.2.22 conflicts with mariadb-connector-c-3.0.7_1 on /usr/local/bin/mariadb_config
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Conflicts with the existing packages have been found.
One more solver iteration is needed to resolve them.
The following 5 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
    mariadb-connector-odbc-3.0.7
    mariadb-connector-c-3.0.7_1

New packages to be INSTALLED:
    mariadb102-client: 10.2.22
    mariadb102-server: 10.2.22

Number of packages to be removed: 2
Number of packages to be installed: 2

The process will require 235 MiB more space.
3 MiB to be downloaded.

I think this might be an error in the port. The CONFLICTS don't make sense to me on databases/mariadb-connector-c (on which databases/mariadb-connector-odbc depends).
Code:
CONFLICTS_INSTALL=      mariadb[0-9]*-client-* \
 	                        mariadb102-server-* \
 	                        mysql[0-9]*-client-* \
 	                        percona[0-9]*-client-*
Since the -server packages all depend on their -client counterparts the CONFLICTS line seem to conflict with all MariaDB, MySQL and Percona versions.

It is however possible you simply cannot install it on the same machine as any of the -server packages. I don't know enough about databases/mariadb-connector-odbc.

Oke, so it's not me.. ;-)

I was expecting this but hoped to fix that with my poudriere builds, pkg does report one shared file as the reason for the conflict.
the weird thing is that mysql with mysql-connector-odbc does not have this.....

Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
- mariadb102-client-10.2.22 conflicts with mariadb-connector-c-3.0.7_1 on /usr/local/bin/mariadb_config

What file did you check for this confirmation?

Then if i go back to mysql, do you have any suggestions in how i can switch to mysql80 than because the mysql-connector-odbc is only for mysql56 and for some features, like utf8mb4 and large Key Indexes, i need newer ;-(
i think i should be able to set the default mysql version to mysql80 in /etc/make.conf but i doe not know how.

I any case, thank you for helping

What file did you check for this confirmation?
The CONFLICTS are defined in the Makefile of databases/mariadb-connector-c.
I think I should be able to set the default mysql version to mysql80 in /etc/make.conf but I do not know how.
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= mysql=8.0
See /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk.

I don't think it's going to help much though, it would have a conflict with mysql80-client, removing that would also remove mysql80-server (since it depends on the -client).

I was hoping to switch to MadiaDB but , i will try going to mysql 8.0 with the make.conf option

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= mysql=8.0

With this the mysql-connector-odbc should use mysql80-client for compile, though i'am than using MySQL this should work having no conflicts.
i just hope this connector version 5.3.4 still works with MySQL 8.0

Then i will save MariaDB with ODBC for another day. ;-)

Well, compiling with mysql57, mysql80 or mysql10.2m does not work, the mysql-connector-odbc does not compile with those versions.

So at this point i have :
  1. mariadb-connector-odbc cannot install because mariadb-connector-c conflicts with mariadb-client
  2. mysql-connector-odbc only works with mysql57 and no newer version.

i have tried to remove the mariadb-connector-c (the mysql port even has c and c++ port separate) but no success. (i had to try)

Sinds Mysql 5.6 is already end of support i have to upgrade sometime.

I hope there is anyone who has a suggestion getting MySQL 8.0 or MariaDB 10+ working with ODBC on the same server please share you ideas.

Thank you.

I have succes,

But also missed something important in SirDice's first response, if you look at the Conflicts line :

Conflicts:
  • CONFLICTS_INSTALL:
    • mariadb[0-9]-client-
    • mariadb102-server-*
    • mysql[0-9]-client-
    • percona[0-9]-client-
I did not immediately notice that is is only mariadb102- that conflicts, and there lays the problem, because i'am working with a static copy of the 2019Q1 of the ports (because i still need PHP56)
so i did not have a working compiled version of mariadb103 do i took the previous best thing witch was mariadb102, i'am also getting familiair with the MariaDB versioning...

So last evening i noticed that Conflicts line and i added mariadb101 to my Poudriere server en Low and Behold that worked!!!

I have now installed
mariadb101-client
mariadb101-server
mariadb-connector-odbc (and dependency mariadb-connector-c)

So a very special thanks for to SirDice he did have the right answer, i just did not notice..

Regards
Richard

Back