Installing KDE5 on aarch64

Hello friends,

Long time lurker here, and finally decided to register. I am really grateful to this forum. I have really learned *a lot* from my migrating from Linux and MacOS to FreeBSD a couple years back. I usually use FreeBSD on amd64 platform. Run KDE. Do not consider myself an expert, though.

On a specific laptop, and for work reasons, I need to have FreeBSD 13.1 not on bare metal, but on a VM on an M1 Mac (aarch64), either using Parallels or the Tech Preview version of VMWare's Fusion.
I was able to do an installation to my complete liking. However, I can't get KDE5 running!!

x11 works fine, I solved the mouse not working issue, and get SDDM to start at boot and log me in. However, after logging in, I get the attached screen, and then it turns black.

One important variation from my usual, prior installs, is that on amd64, I install KDE by issuing:
pkg install sddm kde5

However, there doesn't seem to be a kde5 metaport for FreeBSD 13.1 on aarch64, so what I did was:
pkg install sddm kde-baseapps

That's probably wrong. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 19.05.20.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 19.05.20.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 94
A bit of patience, please. New users are moderated for obvious reasons, and we do not live in your time zone. You won't expect me to be up at 2:38AM to green light your post, will you? Ok, welcome, and good luck!

Thanks! My apologies. I saw my first post showing, then I saw it was gone. Didn't realize there's was an approval process for first posts from new users. Again, my apologies.

Welcome to FreeBSD Forums.
Thank you very much! I'm really glad to be here and learn from the experts.

Thanks graham and Alexander for taking the time to reply to my post.

Ok, so if x11/plasma5- ... has been skipped, there probably is still a way to get KDE5 running on aarch64? Otherwise, how come other KDE5 sub-components are available for install? Or maybe it's me not understanding how this works? (most probably).

Thanks again.

… get KDE5 running on aarch64? …

If you're happy to build from source: you might make a change to your copy of the ports tree, then attempt build and installation of sysutils/plasma5-kinfocenter alone.

Removal of what's highlighted below, from within your copy:

1653199088538.png

Beyond installation of sysutils/plasma5-kinfocenter (if successful): I can't guess whether there will be other obstacles to installing KDE Plasma, or (at least) the rest of x11/plasma5-plasma-desktop.

Thanks *a lot* !

So if I understand correctly, I should :
1) patch the makefile for plasma5-kinfocenter, on the ports tree, by deleting the lscpu dependency
2) then build from source plasma5-plasma-desktop (since there's no existing current binary metaport to install for aarch64)

Is this correct?

Thank you again!!!

And lscpu have been ignored because: "is only for amd64 i386 powerpc powerpc64 powerpc64le riscv64, while you are running aarch64"
Heh that seems crazy. lscpu's sole task in life is to be "a command-line utility to display information about the CPU architecture".

I would call this tool absolutely unfit for purpose!

Hello,
Just a quick update. I was able to install kde5 on arch64 yesterday, since the binary meta-port package was available for FreeBSD 13 -- just did a pkk install kde5
However, today, when configuring a different machine, the pkg program can't find kde5
Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 23.36.05.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 23.36.05.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 73
Its currently only present in the latest repository for your arch.

To switch from quarterly to latest

• Copy /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf if you haven't already
  • Change the string quarterly to latest in the url: line
  • Run pkg update -f to update from the new (latest) repository metadata.

Its currently only present in the latest repository for your arch.

To switch from quarterly to latest

• Copy /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf if you haven't already
  • Change the string quarterly to latest in the url: line
  • Run pkg update -f to update from the new (latest) repository metadata.
Thank you very much! Even at my old age, FreeBSD as a Unix and the knowledge in these forums don't cease to amaze me.

Thanks again.

Back