Installing Gnome Specific Apps

The manual doesn't speak to the process of installing Gnome specific apps, at least I didn't see anything that was obvious. Out of the official Newbie class, but still not familiar with this process as much as I need to be. So I want to install the Disks Gnome app to easier manipulate disks.

The site talks about how to use the utility once it is installed, but nothing about HOW to properly install it. Am quite sure it is an easy process, but am just not in the know. Also, installing this app will then show up in the list of Gnome apps along with any other, I am assuming?

Thanks in advance for any direction.

Even individual apps from Gnome need ported to FreeBSD, so your first stop would be to check the ports collection. FreshPorts.org makes this easy. A huge number of gnome apps have been ported, but unfortunately Disks is not one of them. I myself have done some looking into Disks, as we use that extensively where I work on Linux boot drives. A program like that has very specific OS level hooks, and since Linux and FreeBSD use different subsystems for controlling disks, would need some major work to function outside of Linux. I also have yet been unable to find any suitable alternative that works on FreeBSD.

Back