Installing glad nuked my install

So, something aggravating occurred with freebsd a couple days back, where i was attempting to get into graphics programming, i installed glad, and didn't pay attention, and it deleted my entire desktop and every graphical program, this occurred on 14-CURRENT. Would anyone know why? I'd want to use freebsd again, i prefer it over Linux.

Yes, 12-STABLE and 13-STABLE are supported. And 12.3-RELEASE (till the end of March), 12.4-RELEASE, 13.1-RELEASE and 13.2-RELEASE (it's a first beta release though).

But the number one cause of packages 'suddenly' being removed is due to a conflict with a dependency you installed last. Check your /var/log/messages to see what pkg(8) did. Always double check before blindly hitting 'Y' to prevent this from happening.

Oh, and as a side note. Removing packages won't also remove your settings. So if you just reinstall it everything would still be there as if nothing happened.

Oh, and as a side note. Removing packages won't also remove your settings. So if you just reinstall it everything would still be there as if nothing happened.
Nice, would using the current version potentially be linked to my issue? Don't the stable and current versions use the same packages?

Do i need to reinstall freebsd in order to go from, for example, 13-stable to 14-stable in the future?
No, just change the source branch and build world (and reinstall/rebuild all your ports/packages, which you need to do with any major version upgrade).

Pro tip, you can use boot environments to 'dual boot' different FreeBSD versions. Just be careful not to upgrade your ZFS pools to a version the older FreeBSD versions don't support.

Back