Installing FreeBSD with serial console on OpenBSDs vmd

Hey, I need a FreeBSD VM on OpenBSDs vmd. The thing is that OpenBSDs vmd only supports serial console. How do I install FreeBSD with serial console? Has anyone expierence on that topic?

Yes I have with "Serial Console Redirection" on some older Lanner headless routers.

The only difference with the bsdinstall over serial is you will be prompted for the terminal type. VT100 is what I use.
That setting is usually in the BIOS under Serial Console if you prefer something else.

You will have to mount the image (not sure how you do that in OpenBSD, unless you have a FreeBSD install up and running) and enable it .

The handbook also has good information on how to do this as well once you have the image mounted and can modify files in it.

Edit the /boot/loader.conf and add:

Code:
# Setup serial console.
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
comconsole_speed="115200"
console="comconsole"

These settings will direct FreeBSD to output to serial and accept input as well.

I have no experience with openbsd or vmd so I'm not sure what to use, but in FreeBSD's bhyve, it provides a "console" to attach to the virtual machine. I assume vmd provides the same thing.

Hope this helps.

jda

OpenBSD's vmd is shit. You should do the other way around: OpenBSD guest on FreeBSD host with Bhyve. This will save you most of troubles.

Back