Installing FreeBSD paralell to Linux in a DualBoot

Hi,
I've found no Newbie section, but I think this fits here as well.
My aim in the End is to make a smooth transition between Linux and BSD but at the beginning I need a running system while experimenting with BSD. Therefore I want to have both systems on my laptop in a dualboot environment. To test this I've installed VirtualBox and set up a machine with LinuxMint on the one Hand and freeBSD on the other hand. Now as far as I read I've got the option to include freeBSD into the grub bootloader of LinuxMint (my preferred option) or install a new bootloader like refind.
Since I like the first option most I'd like to try getting this up and running. I know there are many similar threads but I've tried different things suggested there and none worked.

My partition layout is a disk with GPT as partition table, then a partition for LinuxMint then a partition for the BIOS (from LinuxMint) then there is the BSD-zfs partition and afterwards the BSD-boot partition

GPT-Partitiontable
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LinuxMint | BIOS (LinuxMint) | BSD-zfs | BSD-boot |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope even if questions similar to this were posted already someone will help me ;)

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome! I've never done this myself, but first off there is a bit of a direction shown on how to do this in the FreeBSD handbook. Be sure to scour the pages and do a forum search because chances are you will find how to do what you want there :) There is a section on it here. There are also a few links present that you can use to guide you:

Well somehow I managed it to be able to integrate it into the grub bootloader, (kfreebsd /path/to/the/boot/loader).
(with encrypting now there is another problem, but this belongs into another thread I think)

Back