Installing FreeBSD on Windows disk

I've just acquired a 'new' computer with a 500GB disk with Windows installed on it. I want to install FreeBSD on the disk but before doing so, I want to preserve the Windows installation, just in case I ever need it. The installation on uses 23GB.

What's the best way to archive it in a form that I can easily restore it in a bootable form?

I've just acquired a 'new' computer with a 500GB disk with Windows installed on it. I want to install FreeBSD on the disk but before doing so, I want to preserve the Windows installation, just in case I ever need it. The installation on uses 23GB.

What's the best way to archive it in a form that I can easily restore it in a bootable form?
Pull the hard drive, you computer was shipped with, out of the machine and put it in a refrigerator. Then put the newly purchased hard drive in and just install FreeBSD on it.

1. Boot into the Windows OS. :cringe:
2. Install and run Disk2vhd.
2b. 'Use Volume Shadow Copy'
2c. Select which volumes to include.
2d. Create.

End result will be a VHD you can boot up in a virtual machine, or can restore from to the physical disk. Use EasyBCD to backup the boot-loader.

You can even back up to a network drive with Disk2vhd.

Pull the hard drive, you computer was shipped with, out of the machine and put it in a refrigerator. Then put the newly purchased hard drive in and just install FreeBSD on it.
Ok, but let's not moan if the system freezes! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
1. Boot into the Windows OS. :cringe:
2. Install and run Disk2vhd.
2b. 'Use Volume Shadow Copy'
2c. Select which volumes to include.
2d. Create.

End result will be a VHD you can boot up in a virtual machine, or can restore from to the physical disk. Use EasyBCD to backup the boot-loader.

You can even back up to a network drive with Disk2vhd.

Can I mount a VHD file under FreeBSD?

Pull the hard drive, you computer was shipped with, out of the machine and put it in a refrigerator.

Really? Why? I've heard of people doing that to get a flaky drive working long enough to retrieve some data from it, but I've never heard of that for storing drives. Any URLs on that I can browse through?

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
Really? Why? I've heard of people doing that to get a flaky drive working long enough to retrieve some data from it, but I've never heard of that for storing drives. Any URLs on that I can browse through?

Pretty sure it's a joke; a play on "preserve the Windows installation." In your country, what method do you use to preserve food over long periods of time?

With 6 billion + people on this planet nothing surprises me anymore. As absurd as something may sound I ask question, get the fact, and go from there.

Back