Installing FreeBSD 6.4 on VMWARE Fusion

Hi,

I'm using a Macbook with VMware Fusion to install OS virtually. I've got FreeBSD 6.4 and would like to install it on Vmware; but I've got problems searching for a proper Installation Media to install.

I downloaded an iso image and the media choices I have ('on FreeBSD installation interface') don't correspond to image files but instead FTP, NFS and etc.

So how could I install the image file if I don't have the image file selection?

Please help...

The VM software should already have the ISO image mounted as if it were a real CD in a real drive; that's where the install is booting. The FreeBSD install just copies files from the ISO, not an image. Choice #1 on this screen.

FreeBSD 6.4 is very old, and you should probably install 8.2 unless there's a specific need for 6.4.

I could not yet install it completely. I've got at least 3 separate iso files for FreeBSD 6.4.

There's no problem installing the first iso image but it couldn't switch to the second file to install the rest of the files.

Any solutions available for this problem ?

The second ISO should just have packages. Possibly you can get the VM software to switch ISO images, or even mount the additional image as a second drive. (I don't know if sysinstall can deal with two CD drives for packages instead of switching CDs, never tried it.)

You could install FreeBSD without packages, boot into it, then mount the CDs and use pkg_add(1) to install packages.

Back