Installing FreeBSD 13 on an RPi with external drive

Greetings,

I am curious. I did a search of the forums, and didn't find anything. Is it possible to run FreeBSD 13 a raspberry pi model 3B+ completely from a USB external drive (as opposed to running on the microSD drive)? I have FreeBSD 13.2 running on the SD card on the pi, But I ran across a confluence of circumstances/desires in the last day or so:
  • Upgrading form 13.1 to 13.2 took nearly 8 hours on the SD card;
  • An external drive is a couple of orders of magnitude faster than a microSD;
  • I'd like to run ZFS on the pi, if possible (memory may be a constraint precluding this);
  • I found a 1TB (pre SMR) WD Passport drive sitting i a desk drawer collecting dust.
Is it possible to install and run FreeBSD 13 on a Pi from the hard drive?

Thanks,
--vr

Is it possible to install and run FreeBSD 13 on a Pi from the hard drive?
Yes.
I tried all kinds of micro drives from 1.8" Half Slim SATA to 2.5" SSD via USB adapter.
Where I had troubles was USB to CFast adapter.
I wanted to use CFast with USB adapter but it did not show up right in u-boot.

So if you are new to this I would suggest flash FreeBSD to microSD and a USB stick.
Boot up off microSD and use u-boot to switch to usb drive.
Then boot off USB.
It will get your feet wet.

If you want the whole thing now:
Make a >20M boot partition type fat32lba on microSD and format
Stick the u-boot files on it. (Alternatively flash image to it and delete da0s2a)
Boot your microSD with uboot and go to u-boot command line.
Fiddle with usb device with FreeBSD on it (external drive or stick).
usb start
usb storage /* This should show your usb device/*
usb dev 0
boot

The thing is you must use a microSD for u-boot on Pi3. The jump off to USB.
All the microsd card needs is files:
sysutils/u-boot-rpi3
They land here: /usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-rpi3

There are different ways of doing it.
The way I show above puts only u-boot on microSD and EFI and UFS on USB are the stock FreeBSD RPI image.

You could also have microSD card with u-boot files on the EFI partition and use da0p2/da0s2a for USB drive.

da0p2/da0s2a
I say this because you can use either GPT or MBR. So use your layouts naming.

You will probably want to edit /etc/fstab
It uses labels and when you use a microSD card with FreeBSD on it and USB drive with FreeBSD it can be confusing.
So I often disable labels and use actual device names in fstab.

usb dev 0
I want to note that this step sets usb dev 0 active. usb dev 0 being your usb device.
After you set this once it should boot from that drive without intervention.

https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2022/09/freebsd-140-compiling-kernel-for.html This is for the Raspberry Pi 4B

You are using the Raspberry Pi 3B+ might be the same setup to add an external USB 3.0 drive and use "bsdinstall" to install over the ethernet and internet to the external USB drive.

I welcome any comments you wish to leave. I can edit in differences you find with booting on the Raspi 3B+ into the blog. I welcome your testing and your feedback. I am enjoying the XFCE desktop on my Raspberry Pi 4B. Nice to have an external USB SSD drive for saving files.

I don't know about the pi 3b - only having USB2, would the usb/ssd boot be very much faster than an SD card?

That said, I set up a pi 400 with usb/ssd boot and zroot, following the suggestion here - 87492" href="/index.php?threads/87492/">Thread 87492.

(Sorry, I don't know why that THREAD markup is screwed up)

I installed 13.1-RELEASE to begin with, which I've since updated to 13.2-RELEASE. It's fine, running various bastille jails, and backing up using zsnap and zxfer to both local disks and another 13.2-RELEASE system.

My only issue at the moment is a bunch of lines in /var/log/messages when I do a backup (and only when I do a backup, so I'm thinking it's zfs send:

Code:
kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 17 df ee 41 00 00 07 00

The READs succeed on the 2nd attempt 90% of the time, and on the 3rd attempt every other time, so I'm not too bothered for a home system. This is with a Kingston SA400S37/240GB SATA, which is frequently recommended for the Pi (by Linux users, though). So it's possible that SSD choice may be a concern with FreeBSD.

My experience with FreeBSD on a Raspberry Pi 4 is that it is really not playing well with USB storage.

This was well over a year ago, though. Hopefully the reliability has improved since, but I couldn't get the USB HDD setup to work at all.

I hope FreeBSD 14 handles this better, I really do not want to have to muck about with a GNU system just to get a working file server on a Pi.

Back