Solved Installing CDE

Paolo_R

I am running FreeBSD in a VirtualBox VM and thanks to the support from the members of this forum have a basic X-Windows set up running. I would like to implement the CDE.

From various messages in the forum I'd assumed I would have to build CDE from scratch - see https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/FreeBSDBuild/ however I did a 'pkg install cde' and CDE appears to have been installed on my system

This appeared immediately after the install (see screen shot below). Assuming I do this I presume I will be able to launch CDE.

Are there any issues that I need to be aware of before I embark upon this task?

Thanks
Paul
CDE Prereqs.png

Last edited:

aragats

Aspiring Daemon

From various messages in the forum I'd assumed I would have to build CDE from scratch - see https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/FreeBSDBuild/ however I did a 'pkg install cde' and CDE appears to have been installed on my system
I used source code from a GitHub project initially mentioned here. However, that project doesn't exist anymore. I have built it back in 2016, and it was straight forward. Here is the the screenshot. I don't see any issues, however, never investigated "unresolved security issues" reasonably mentioned in the post-install message.

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

As the GitHub project is no longer available I proceeded along the lines shown in the screenshot and the various entries were added to /etc/rc.conf.

However entering the line 'env LANG=C startx /usr/dt/bin/Xsession' didn't load CDE. I was just dumped back into text-mode UNIX (see screenshot). So no idea what I have to do now :-(

Paul

Attachments

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

As the GitHub project is no longer available I proceeded along the lines shown in the screenshot and the various entries were added to /etc/rc.conf.

However entering the line 'env LANG=C startx /usr/dt/bin/Xsession' didn't load CDE. I was just dumped back into text-mode UNIX (see screenshot). So no idea what I have to do now :-(

Paul
I've just realised that I might not have installed a binary pkg - I think I might have an uncompiled port. If so how do I go about 'building'CDE?

Paul

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

I've just realised that I might not have installed a binary pkg - I think I might have an uncompiled port. If so how do I go about 'building'CDE?
Paul
Well just checked - pkg info - and cde-2.2.3_1 is shown as installed so may be it is a binary version. Who knows? I don't :)

Paul

aragats

Aspiring Daemon

pkg info -l cde shows the list of installed files. So, the mentioned above file has an incorrect path in the post-install message. In FreeBSD everything is installed in /usr/local, so the correct path is /usr/local/dt/bin/Xsession. However, if you open that script, you'll find that it needs shells/ksh93 as interpreter. Also, I guess, certain paths in the script have to be adjusted as well.

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

Thanks for the info. I've installed ksh93 but I'm afraid amending the Xsession script looks way beyond my capabilities :-(

Paul

aragats

Aspiring Daemon

You can build CDE using ports. It's simple, take a look in FreeBSD handbook.
Install the ports tree, then (as root)
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/cde
# make
# make install
I'm doing it right now.
It correctly understands the dependency on shells/ksh93 and a couple of more packages and installs them as well.

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

You can build CDE using ports. It's simple, take a look in FreeBSD handbook.
Install the ports tree, then (as root)
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/cde
# make
# make install
I'm doing it right now.
It correctly understands the dependency on shells/ksh93 and a couple of more packages and installs them as well.
aragats

Many thanks. Did the make (wow, what a huge build) and make install. As I had already loaded cde earlier I did a make deinstall to get rid of that and then a make reinstall. I got the CDE (see screenshot) but I'm going to have to do something about screen resolution - I can only see the top half of the screen - I can't see the Front Panel which will make it difficult to do much :)

Paul

Attachments

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

OK, I solved that issue. I needed to adjust the VirtualBox scale factor. Using the File Manager seems to have a problem - I keep getting 'folder name invalid'even though it's not. Also if Itry to open the Application Manager when I click on the Filing Cabinet in the Front panel I get a message "Invalid folder specification, /var/dt/appconfig/appmanager/paul-paul.dell.pc-0". So there seems to be a problem correctly identifying folders.

Paul

Attachments

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

Sorry guys, I'm a bit confused. Can anyone explain why I'm having the problem outlined above in relation to the File Manager and Application Manager not being able to corrcetly identify folders? Is there a fix?

Thanks
Paul

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

I see. So how do I get the github file into VirtualBox/UNIX since it isn't part of the official Ports collection? Sorry, I've never done this before hence the dumb questions.

Thanks
Paul

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

From another message I found, would this be how I start SSH?

sshd_enable="YES" in the /etc/rc.conf

/etc/rc.d/sshd start

aragats

Aspiring Daemon

Adding to /etc/rc.conf ensures starting sshd at boot.
The second line is okay, however, the regular way of (re)starting services manually is:
service sshd start
if it's not enabled in /etc/rc.conf, you'll have to use:
service sshd onestart.

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

Many thanks. I'll probably use service sshd onestart at least until or if I start to use github on a regular basis.

Can you show me what scp options I would have to set to transfer http://mikael.urankar.free.fr/github/cde-master.zip to FreeBSD? Ideally, if you could - as you did previously - show the sequence of commands I'd need to get the file from github, unzip it, put it in a directory. I think I can make and make install from there on in :)

As I said, I'm a dummy when it comes to this sort of stuff so I rely on the generosity of people like you.

Thanks
Paul

aragats

Aspiring Daemon

Can you show me what scp options I would have to set to transfer http://mikael.urankar.free.fr/github/cde-master.zip to FreeBSD?
What is your host OS?
If you have already downloaded that file, from your host you do: scp cde-master.zip <freebsd_user>@<freebsd_guest_ip_addr>:~/. It will appear in you <freebsd_user> home directory.
Another way to get that file in your FreeBSD guest (without SSH):
in FreeBSD: fetch http://mikael.urankar.free.fr/github/cde-master.zip.

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

I used fetch http://mikael.urankar.free.fr/github/cde-master.zip and put the extracted folder in a tmp folder in my home directory. Now can I copy the contents of this tmp folder into /usr/ports/x11-wm/cde and overwrite the previous contents?

Then do a make and a make install ?

Thanks once again.
Paul

OP
OP
P

Paolo_R

aragats

Muchas gracias, señor. Thank you so much for your patience and generosity (of time.) And thank you to acheron for making the 'fixed' version available.

I now have CDE working - what a cool desktop it is.

Thanks
Paul