Installer can't load kernel... after successful installation

I installed 14.1-BETA3 on two Dell Latitude 2120 laptops. Everything works fine as far as I can tell.

I then tried booting the same USB stick with the installer. It hangs at load kernel, on both of the laptops.

No BIOS updates or changes since then. Same USB stick works on other machines. Same USB stick with the same image worked to install in the first place.

Using UFS, if it matters. BIOS install (does not support uefi).

Does anyone have any idea of why this might be? I find it perplexing. Maybe a combination of factors, including some BIOS quirk?

At first I thought it must be related to 14.1, but 14.0 installer and mfsbsd also does it.

Thanks!

It's just `loading kernel...`, doesn't even get to the addresses. Not the uart issue, and the same kernel works to boot it while installed. Also works if I disable SATA in the BIOS, then the installer will boot.

As mentioned, a photo might be useful, but please realise that the phase of 14.1 BETAs and RCs has come and gone.

You've got two Latitude 2120 laptops. Please consider getting two USB sticks with install images for 13.3-RELEASE and 14.1-RELEASE and report the result for both sticks when trying to boot from them; also report if these two releases behave the same or differently on each laptop.

I installed 14.1-BETA3 on two Dell Latitude 2120 laptops
What version/release did you upgrade from?

At first I thought it must be related to 14.1, but 14.0 installer and mfsbsd also does it.
Did you read:
especially: did you upgrade the boot loader as specified?

Back