Installed FreeBSD on Sparc machine, now won't boot correctly

This is my first post, and I know virtually *nothing* about FreeBSD... but I am keen :p

I have a Sun Blade 1000 (1GB ram, UltraSparc III processor). FreeBSD appeared to sucessfully install from CD and I rebooted the system.

However, it does not boot correctly, rather says is cannot find "/dev/ttyu2" and then drops to a text-style login. When I log on, and check using "ls" - /dev/ttyu2 isn't there.

Does anyone know what might be wrong here? I've had a good look around google and the like and I can see this is probably a serial port. Does this need removing from a file used during boot-up? Any suggestions very welcome. Many thanks in advance.

OK, well I've discovered the ttyu2 error isn't a problem after switching it off in /etc/ttys

So, now the machine boots cleanly, but has a text logon.

Am I missing something here, like isn't there a graphical FreeBSD (KDE or gnome or whatever) for the sparc architecture?

Thanks!

Rob

OK, well I tried
Code:
pkg_add kde

This didn't work because the default package ftp site is wrong. I changed this after going through the freebsd ftp tree :

Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/sparc64/packages-8-stable/Latest/

Now I've issued
Code:
pkg_add kde
again and it's now download and (hopefully) installing KDE.

Rob

This question is more for me than for you:
What graphics card do you have on it? PCI or UPA as the active?

sossego said:
This question is more for me than for you:
What graphics card do you have on it? PCI or UPA as the active?

Hi sossego... I really want to help you, but I don't understand your question.

I have a 13w3 connector at the back of the machine and this goes through a vga converter and then into a normal flatscreen.

I did know at one point what this graphics card is... I think it's the cheapest one that could come with the sun blade 1000... does that help?

Rob

Back